Mail through Port 80?

My wife's work blocks port 25 and she would like to use the email program on her personal laptop to connect to her personal email account. She already has access but only through port 80. I have read here that it is possible to configure the SMTP server and the local mail application to communicate over port 80 but I don't know how possible that is or what is involved.

Webmail is just not a useful option.

Advice and clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
rguse
Loading thread data ...

They also block port 25 because the spammers look for open mail servers through that port. Virtually every ISP blocks port 25 access to mail servers other than theirs. There used to be a free mail service that used port 25000 to get around this, but they have long since gone out of business.

Reply to
Charles Newman

First, they block port 25 because they don't want people wasting company time doing PERSONAL crap. Second, even if you set your client to send on port 80, the ISP's mail server isn't going to be listening on port 80, it listens on port 25.

If they have a firewall that limits her to port 80, then they are going to see what she's doing and will probably reprimand her for breaking company policy. If she needs access to personal email for work, I'm sure that the company will enable her to access it, if not, then don't waste company resources/time for personal gratification.

Reply to
Leythos

Spammers are not people that exist inside his company, I'm guessing, so they block OUTBOUND SMTP so that internal users can't send with anything except the company email server. You can't block inbound SMTP unless you don't have your own email server or you won't be able to get any new email from the outside.

Since they are blocking 25, it would be safe to assume that they are blocking INTERNAL users from sending using EXTERNAL servers - which means they don't want people screwing off on company time.

Reply to
Leythos

Actaully, we block port 25 out because of spyware/malware. There ar3e alot of spayware/malware/crapware that will install a mini mail server to use the pc as a spyware bot...

Michael

Reply to
Michael Pelletier

A lot of ISPs also block port 25 for that as well.

Reply to
Charles Newman

I'd say 'alot' is an understatement... this is the major "new" way to send spam mails, after admins started to configure their open relays in a more sensible manner. I wonder what the spammers will do now, when most major ISPs block (or will block soon) outbound 25/tcp connections. How many ISPs are filtering their customers _outbound_ emails for spam, sent via their legitimate SMTP-servers? And if that is the norm, how would customers react to what appears to be their ISP reading their emails? *sigh*

Reply to
Eirik Seim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.