Wifi to wifi connection

Hi, I have an antenna that pulls a good wifi connection from a free service, this antenna is a RepeatIT Long Range USB Outdoor Antenna - SU2410-USB and cost me £ 115.

Is there a way that I can use this connection to create a wife network for our laptop. What we are trying to do is ,

Wifi into my desk top - and send a signal for the laptop to receive, networked to my PC (each other)

If this is possible what products do I need, the laptop has its own wifi built into it. I already have a several usb wifi adapters, which I purchased before I got the Repeatit antenna.

Your help would be appriciated.

Thak you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
graham35
Loading thread data ...

Graham35

perhaps you have strayed on to a wrong group ;-)

But, seriously all you need is a wifi router that can act as a repeater. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

graham35 wrote: [snip]

A token ring can be used to authenticate the basic protocols.

Use separate SSIDs and bank accounts.

If you want to allow roaming, no amount security will prevent "man-in-the-middle" intrusions.

CAT5 ethernet cable has a limited range of only 330 feet. And can easily be dressed with Velcro (tm). And use domestic connectors with plenty of gold for excessive insertions.

Limit the DHCP server to only one address.

Reply to
DTC

One way is to connect a wireless router to your desktop through a LAN port.

What you have by using a USB client, you have to have your desktop turned on at all times.

If you had used an Ethernet to wireless bridge you could have connected the bridge directly into the wireless router without having to keep your desktop on.

Reply to
curly Bill

Sorry, unable to help with your request but I am interested in this unit myself. Could you give me an idea of the range that you are able to receive your furthest hotspot and intervening topography? As you know, the advertising blurb says "several kilometres" but I should imagine that's a little optimistic. Any other info regarding reception would be much appreciated. Pse reply off group if you like. Rgds Nick

Reply to
Nick Budd

Your problem intrigued me so I looked into it a little. Without turning it into a total project for myself (something I tend to do when I need it), it appears to me the answer lies in using a wireless Access Point, which can be made to act as a Repeater.

Take a look here as a starting point for yourself. Pay particular attention to the third paragraph. And remember: while this article is about a wireless B unit, you may need to apply it to wireless G instead. I think with a few questions asked to the right people, you'll find your solution in no time. I would call linksys:

formatting link

Reply to
Carl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.