Intel 2200BG Firmware upgrade?

Hi, Folks!

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 2200BG wifi card.

I have a miniPCI 2200BG wifi card in my laptop. I found out that this card is not function as it should in promiscuous mode with Ethereal, Airodump (Peek drivers), etc. If I were to "upgrade" the firmware on the card with what they have at ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ will promiscuous mode work they way it should?

TIA...

Reply to
Blue Streak
Loading thread data ...

"Blue Streak" hath wroth:

Anyone that has downloaded and installed the Intel Linux drivers from the Intel web site has used the ipw2200 release. The ipw2200.sf.net site is run by Intel for the purpose of driver development for their wireless miniPCI cards.

I can't tell if you're using Windoze or Linux. Your NNTP header shows Windoze. If Linux, promiscuous and monitor modes should work out of the box. If Windoze, you get deal with the WildPackets/Aeropeek drivers.

I don't know. There's nothing in the docs, release notes, or FAQ that sugggests that it will for Windoze.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This might be of interest:

Apparently, the answer for Centrino products is no.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Don't worry. I know perfectly well that my laptop has Windoze XP. I was hoping these "Linux changes" to firmware would, also, add extra functionality under Windows ... I mean, Windoze.

Would installing Cygwin give me a glimmer of hope at all?

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Blue Streak

The problem is not the firmware. It's the NDIS5 driver that specifically disallows monitor and promiscuous modes. This functionality can be recovered by replacing the NDIS5 driver with some proprietary concoction. I don't want to get into how that's done.

Nope. I tried Kismet under Cygwin using the stock NDIS5 drivers. I got Kismet to compile and run, but never got it to show anything other than my own traffic. See multiple instructions under projects at:

formatting link
The right way to do this is to get a Linux LiveCD with all the wireless tools and use it instead of Windoze. I like:
formatting link
formatting link
that your wireless card will work first:
formatting link
like the 2200BG is listed as working but not for injecting packets. In general (no warranty), anything that will run under Knoppix will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, I'm convinced. I'm going to pick up a NetGear WG511T and use that instead.

BTW, what would be involved with replacing the NDIS5 driver? I'm just looking for some links. You don't have to give any long winded explanations.

Thanks.

Reply to
Blue Streak

Huh? Your existing 2200BG card will work with BackTrack and Auditor. It's just that you won't be able to use it to break into encrypted networks. Monitor and Promiscuous modes both work so Kismet, WireShark, and Aircrack-NG will all work for sniffing.

Like I mumbled, I don't want to get involved in this. You should be able to find something with Google.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.