Why only 10Mbps?

Can anyone tell me why I might only be getting a 10Mbps connection (instead of 100Mbps) when I use my Cat 5 cable between my Linksys WRT54G and my laptop? What setting on which device might be involved?

TIA, David

Reply to
David Schwartz
Loading thread data ...

I don't have a laptop (will send you my shipping address). Until it arrives, check through your router's setup screens - you may have the WAN port set to 10mbps. Choose 100mbps or autonegotiate 10/100.

Reply to
Roby

Thanks but I don't see any such choice in the router setup.

Reply to
David Schwartz

How have you determined that the connection is 10Mbps? Do you have any other device that will connect to the router or your laptop at 100Mbps?

What OS is the laptop running? If it's Windows XP, There is an advanced configuration that allows to select link speed or auto negotiate.

Reply to
dold

Try disabling autonegotiation in your laptop's driver and set it to

100mbps and doing the same on the linksys side if applicable. The latest firmware for your WRT54G (be sure to get the right hardware rev number!) would also benefit you.

Sometimes autonegotiate just doesn't work.

Could be you don't have a 10/100 adapter, could be the port you're hooking to is only a 10mbps port. You dont' mention what version of the WRT54G you have, though I'm pretty sure all the back to 1.x the LAN ports were 10/100, but I think the WAN port may have only been

10mbps. These are vague recollections though.
Reply to
Todd H.

How are you determining that its only 10Mbps?

Not likely to be any config option on the router, check the laptop's network card config for similar options. Also try a different cable, could be damaged internally.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Set the configuration and now I'm running 100Mbps!

Thx everyone

Reply to
David Schwartz

I am assuming the WRTG53 lan port is set to 100 mbs ? have you tested another cable and what happens if you plug another computer in ?

Reply to
atec 77

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.