VPN Client Hangs When I Sleep/Resume My Win 2k Dell Latitude D400

Does anyone know why my VPN client often (but not always...) screws up when I sleep/resume my Win 2k Dell Latitude D400 working via a home wireless router and NTL Broadband? Doesn't seem to matter whether I disconnect first then sleep, or sleep while connected, when I resume and try to reconnect it often hangs before it completes the registration. Only solution is to reboot. Brian

Reply to
BrianH
Loading thread data ...

It depends on what your sleep is set to.. There are usually settings for screen saver/hibernate/shut off hard disks... I run off AC and have the screen saver set to 30 minute, but the hibernate/shut off the hard disks set to never. Since it's a notebook, if I want to close the lid, it shuts down anyway (but then it may or may not restart).. Now I just do a shut down, rather than close the lid.

Reply to
Peter Pan

If I hibernate while VPN is connected, I have to reboot. If I disconnect VPN before I hibernate, I only have to reconnect. If I suspend while VPN is connected, I only have to reconnect.

This is Nortel VPN and WindowsXP-SP2. If you added the wireless, or a new adapter card after you installed VPN, you might want to uninstall VPN and install it again. It's supposed to bind to new NICs, but I don't think Nortel does very well.

Reply to
dold

i think it depends on the VPN, settings and how long you suspend for.

i use Cisco VPN clinet into a VPN 3000 server @ work - a quick suspend is sometimes OK, but usually the link stops working.

Doesn't seem to matter whether I

i suspect there has to be some background traffic - or the VPN server throws away the association to the client.

if will reliably reconnect though - but it takes a while to detect a broken link. you can speed it up by manually dropping the old link and signing on again.

Reply to
stephen

Thanks for the thoughts. I've now changed all my advanced power settings to Standby rather than Hibernate, and when I resume I can reconnect to VPN fine. Still don't understand why the difference, but at least it's sorted (as long as I don't leave the machine in Standby on battery until the battery gets low enough for it to Hibernate automatically I assume). Brian

Reply to
BrianH

Yup, the big offender is usually the hard disk. When it goes into hibernate rather than standby, it actually turns off, and has to spin back up to speed. If you run off AC power plugged in rather than battery, you can just say hard disk shutdown (on AC never, on Battery xx mins), then you never have to worry about it dying on battery.

Reply to
Peter Pan

That's about the only time I get "caught". I do have power saver settings for battery to sleep and then hibernate. I guess I catch it before the hibernate. I only have to reboot after a low power hibernate.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.