Re: Dial-up holdouts ask: Why go to broadband?

Dial-up holdouts ask: Why go to broadband?

> > holdouts_04bus.ART.State.Edition1.35a81ac.html> >
formatting link
> Holdouts don't see the need for broadband > > 12:00 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 > By ANDREW D. SMITH / The Dallas Morning News > > Some announce their position and explain why it's smart. Others blush > when relatives mockingly raise the topic. But neither type expects to > upgrade from dial-up to broadband Internet - ever.

Then will be forced to go to broadband, when they next computer they buy has no modem in it. Every computer I have bought since

2001 has come with no modem, so I have been using broadband of some kind for many years. A number of computer stores have quite selling computer with modems (and some have even quit selling modems), so for some people, there will be no choice when they buy their next machine.
Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

Installing a modem isn't much more difficult than screwing in a light bulb. Also, when ordering a new computer there's almost always an option for a modem.

This isn't going to be the deciding factor.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

Can't remember _ever_ having seen a laptop without a modem, not for at least a decade!

At the moment. Remember when all PCs came with 5.25" floppy drives? or ISA slots? Heck the 3.5" floppy drive is becoming optional now.

Yet....

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Some configurations cannot even use modems. A dial up modem will not work in an any Athlon 64 chipset. If I try and use a modem in my Athlon 64, the modem will not work. Same thing happened when I upgraded to Athlon 64 machines a couple years ago. I had to buy new video cards, becuase the old PCI cards would not work with the machine. PCI modems will not work with Athlon

64 machines, at least mine anyway.

There are already chipsets out there that will not work with dial-up modems.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Let's not forget about the external option as a last resort. These modems actually work better too.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

That's a gigantic piece of misinformation.

I don't doubt you had issues getting a dial-up modem to work, but the assertion that all Athlon 64 chipsets don't support dial-up modems is totally and completely erroneous.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

"Charles Newman" hath wroth:

Baloney. Use Google to search for "Athelon 64 modem" and notice the rather large number of such systems being sold with modems. It would be a fair assumption that these modems are functional.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have a laptop with an Athlon 64 and it has a dialup modem, in addition to Ethernet, wi-fi, etc.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.