Linksys WRT54G power adapter?

I was recently given a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but not a power adapter. As such, I am kinda in need of a power adapter but am not really sure where to get one. I looked on eBay to no avail...

Reply to
yawnmoth
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Radio Shack.

Reply to
John Navas

Depending on the hardware version, it'll probably take anywhere between 5 and 25 volts DC at a few watts. IIRC Linksys ships the V4 (and, I'm nearly certain, the V5) with a 12VDC, 1A supply, with center pin positive.

Radio Shack will be able to help you.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The original version of the WRT54g v1.1 used a 5VDC 1.5A adapter. The current versions all use 12VDC 1000mA adapters. The outer ring is negative. The center pin is positive.

The WRT54G will tolerate a very wide range of DC input voltages. I've tested mine and it runs on anything between about 4VDC and 18VDC. I would not go much above 18VDC. The switching regulator can take it but the input filter capacitor might not.

I'm currently running the WRT54Gv3 that's sitting on my server pile on a 9VDC 1A power supply that appears to have come from the junk heap. In other words, almost any voltage will work as long as the adapter can deliver at least 1A.

The connector is 5.5mm O.D. and 2.5mm I.D. Radio Shock type "N" plug.

The original part is a Linksys AM-1201000D41

Go to eBay search and try "12v 1a" or "12v 1000ma". You have 75 to chose from.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Adaptor rating is 5volts @ 2amps. Center pin positive. You'll need to match the size of the recieving connector.

Reply to
mikeflood35

Thanks for this ... it is very timely as I am in the same situation as the OP. I recently got a flea market special WRT54G V1.0 which, according to the published specs, uses a PS that supplies 5VDC at 2 amps. The vendor supplied a PS which outputs 7.5 VDC at 1.5 amps ... which successfully powers it, but I was concerned about excess heat production from the regulator. Do you believe it is safe to use this PS long term?

Reply to
Mike S.

snipped-for-privacy@xinap.moc (Mike S.) hath wroth:

Sorry. That should be 5VDC at 2.0Amps for Version 1.0

The power supply should NOT get hot. If it does, that means that the transformer core in the wall wart is saturated and probably overloaded.

You will need to get the correct 5V 2A power supply. I just noticed that unlike V1.1 thru 5.0, the original V1.0 may not have the nifty internal switching regulator. Notice the photos at:

formatting link
'm not sure, but it appears that the V1.0 version does not have any switching regulator that gives the WRT54G the wide power supply range. Difficult to tell from the photos. Therefore, I suggest you play it safe and purchase a 5.0VDC 2Amp power supply and NOT try the 12V 1A supply used later versions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

My V5 is 12V pos center pin 500 mA. Very standard power adaptor. You could probaby get one at any electronics store or nearly free at a thrift shop.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

What a variation. I have 2 adapters - both are original Linksys Model D12-1A

12 v DC 1000 mA. That is actually a fair amount of amperage for 1 little circuit board ( if the front of the Linksys Router falls off you will find 1 thin flat circuit board inside the case). Its not as if it is a laptop with a hard drive , cd Rom and a screen to power. I have often wondered if a router needs all that amperage of power. If the amperage is more than is necessary will that hurt the device as excessive voltage can or is it just excess capacity. Simple 12 volt lower amperage adapters should be relatively easy to find. Wonder if it is a similar adapter in the BEFW1 Linksys b router as those can be had relatively inexpensively ? Are there any firmware hacks for the BEFW1 b router ?
Reply to
frankdowling1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.