What is the functional purpose(s) of ...

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why is this idea 'speculative and silly' ?

You can not see anyone breaking up their network into 2 segments like this?

If so, why would there be articles on how to do it, such as the link I posted and the link you posted.

My posed question is valid. The only reason it is speculative about it is you and I don't know if it will work or not, as neither of us have tried it.....and, far from silly.

(Silly is like the post from a week or few ago where the poster was creating a network by connecting each 'slave' PC into a separate NIC on a master PC that was doing ICS, from 4 NICs, out 1 other NIC to the internet. Now THAT is silly.)

(Oops, that was a different group....

formatting link

Reply to
DanS
Loading thread data ...

It does not fit Navas' fantasy of his perfect world...

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:36:19 +0100 (CET), DanS wrote in :

Because it makes no real sense.

Not if they know what they're doing.

I suppose there can be valid cases for using a Windows machine as a bridge, but this isn't one of them, and I'm frankly hard-pressed to think of a case where different topology or just a real dedicated hardware bridge wouldn't make more sense. That Microsoft has bridging support and an article on how to do it isn't any sort of real endorsement.

You've yet to post a valid reason for that configuration.

I actually do know, and even gave you the answer.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

To you.

Not bridging, routing.

Why ? There is no valid reason for dumping a Chevy BB 454 into a street vehicle that never touches a drag strip, but it's done constantly.

No, you never said, 'Yes, a typical home router will accept those packets', or 'No, a typical home router will not accept those packets.'

Maybe what you claim as an answer was this..... 'Either switch the Windows router to ICS, or take it out of the network path.'...but that does not answer the question.

Reply to
DanS

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:49:02 +0100 (CET), DanS wrote in :

To a network engineer.

Microsoft calls it "IP Forwarding".

I have no idea why you haven't.

Not by me. Nor am I interested in the technical issues.

I did.

I'm done. Have the last word.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.