2 miles , clean LOS, lots of ?s

i / we , my peeps at work are trying to setup a long range connection..

none of us are very well versed in wifi...

we have a nice clean line of sight to a usable spot 2 miles from us...

we can mount an antenna up to maybe 150 feet up,, maybe less.. on our end..

and we can mount an antenna on the roof of the other end, aprox 20 -

30ft up?

the far end can have a grid (20 - 30ft roof mount), or otherwise , mildly obtuse antenna... (over all the smaller the better)

our end needs to be fairly discreet. dosnt have to be a pringles can, but no 4ft grids.. id say a good rule of thumb on our side would be under 2ft..

oh, and our building is completely skinned in metal... if that matters...

this project has a budget, but not one written in stone..

iv been reading till my eyes bled on on things wifi... still dont know what might work..

i recently read, > Hi there, yes line of sight is the most important thing. With line of

sight at 1.5miles (2.5km) you could use two Linksys WAP54G and 19dBi > grid antenna. Keep coax cables as short as possible, some people mount > them in enclosures on the poles and just run ethernet (and power) to > them. If you used omni antenna you would need high powered APs to get a > reliable signal at that distance. Unless you want someone else to join > your network there is no reason to use omni antenna. > > Hope this is of help, good luck. > Dale

we do not have any equipment yet.

can get, or try to get wap54g's for both ends... and can use 1 grid antenna..

that leaves us needing 1 antenna.. and maybe some unknown other stuff?

thanks for any help...

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
wwwavatar
Loading thread data ...

thread:

formatting link
I want to take advantage of your knowledge also, gowifi person. I have zero knowledge about wifi. I had to learn all about solar power last week. Let's try for wifi this week.

I have a trendnet TV-IP201 wireless camera running on solar power in a giant bird cage (antenna is inside the wiremesh cage). The receiving computer is 300 yards away, in an RV, and has a WRT300N - Wireless-N Broadband Router (inside the RV). Cannot get the signal from the camera. The only thing between the 2 is a plywood shed. Should I add an antenna outside? like a 10dBi Outdoor Omni-Directional Antenna? at both ends? or simply at one end?

PS: We are a bunch of birders working on the reintroduction of the Eastern Loggerhead Shrike in Quebec, Canada. We want to monitor the behaviour of the birds before we release them to the wild.

Thank you Danielle

Reply to
danoiseau

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.