Looking for a few testers

Hi James,

Wow! Lots of work on your part, congratulations on developing such a useful tool.

Wi-Fi OzarkSky Product Assistant has a direct link from Cisco Wizards:

formatting link
Suggestion James, you may want to consider listing Brands in alphabetical order.

Sincerely and gratefully yours,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom
Loading thread data ...

Fellow wireless newsgroupers, Over the past few months I have researched wireless APs, Bridges, Repeaters etc and put the results in a searchable database. It is just now put on the web and need some testers and feedback on how it works. It has nothing commercial on it and I am not trying to sell you anything. I call it the WPSA or Wireless Product Selection Assistant. Feedback appreciated as it is in beta-test mode. There will be a few more selectable options later. It is at

formatting link

Thanks James Campbell (AKA Airhead)

Reply to
Airhead

Looks good and is very useful.

Reply to
Teddybare

Think I found the link problem Brad, I had the database open on my end. Once again thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Airhead

Good idea, good start, very ambitious, change everything...

1. There's no distinction among all the various hardware versions of each model. Some products have 5 different mutations. If using bench test results, be sure to include the firmware and driver versions used for testing.
  2. Include the FCCID number. Better yet, include a link to the FCCID site so I don't have to use the hideous FCC search engine.
  3. The resultant Visual Studio formatting is kinda weird looking when printed. Add PDF "report" output or format for printing?
  4. Specifications should indicate whether they were lifted from the data sheet or bench tested.
  5. Measurements of tx power should indicate whether 802.11a, b, g, or whatever. It does vary.
  6. Measurements of receiver sensitivity should specify at what BER or PER, and at what connection speed. These REALLY vary. Personally, I would like to see a table of speeds, modulation methods, and sensitivities as I can usually tell by the numbers if the radio is generating internal interference. However, that's quit a bit of work.
  7. There's no way to easily search for a specific model.
  8. Some kind of feature checklist might be useful for comparing. Just lift the feature list from Sveasoft Satori, and add the missing items. Be sure to add planned features such as 802.11i, 802.11s,
802.11n, Pre-N, AES encryption. I'm a big fan of comparison tables and really hate reading through a tangle of prose (like I tend to write).
  1. Latest firmware version and link to download site?
  2. Photos, pictures, 3D view, inside photos, etc.
  3. Type of RF connector.
  4. Power supply voltage, wall wart specs, and actual current drain. Actual dimensions or type of the power connector.
  5. There is no number 13.
  6. User submitted photos of creative repackaging, antennas, mounting, and use.
  7. Never mind the price. It changes too often. Generate a link to Froogle with the appropriate buzzword to get the latest prices.

I'll add some more ideas later as I have to get back to replacing the injectors in my diesel truck. Oh, did I screw up. (Learn by Destroying and I'm certainly learning).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Wizards:

Thanks Brad! I sorted the models per your suggestion. From your website link I get an error going to the wpsa, do you get the same (unspecified error line 34)? The link is correct. As I say it is in beta so it may have some bugs to work out.

James

Reply to
Airhead

Jeff, you are amazing, bla bla bla. The wpsa is not meant to be "a" everything, just a start. If I was to put the FCC and all the hardware versions and firmware versions it would take me years to finish. I admit there may be room for improvement, but I do give the RF conector type if listed on the manufactureres website. Remember, this is only the info provided by the specs and or install docs on the manu website which as you know can be quite small. It is intended to give you an idea of the of where to start. I am not smarter than the manufacturers spec sheets or install manuals. I tried to pick the key specs and let you make a choice, however, I do provide a link to the manu's website for further investigation. I will work on number 13. I hope you get you injectors fixed. Quit trying to print my stuff off and it will work better. Its not leaving so you dont need to print it!

Reply to
Airhead

I've been accused of more dastardly things. Sometimes, I even amaze myself.

Well, I started on a list of things I would want to see and got a bit carried away. Obviously nobody has time to document the entire wireless industry. Just pick and chose from my shopping list anything that looks useful or interesting.

Yep. I know how that works. My Santa Cruz cellular site pages are now 4 years out of date. That's what happens when I pick an over-ambitious project. I suggest you pick a feature set that you know that you can accomplish and stick with it.

Sorry, I didn't notice. Maybe you should rename your pages "Things the manufacturer left out of the data sheet".

Sparce is an understatement. If they deleted any more technical info, all that would be left is the legal disclaimers.

Oh, allright. I'll be nice. From the subject line "Looking for a few testers", I thought you wanted people to test the hardware and submit the results. Apparently, you want the new web site tested. Sorry, I misunderstood.

There is no number 13.

Well, that's what happens when I'm half alseep, in a rush, and using recycled parts. I've got 2 out of 4 cyclinders running, but that's not good enough. Tommorrow, another day under the hood (bonnet).

How do I show it to a customer or client?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Gee Jeff, you can be nice now and then.

There will be improvements made, I might add a print function just for you.

You could show them the website :0)

Reply to
Airhead

This is a terrific resource! I'll be adding a link to it from our wireless training.

Peace, Craig Wiesner A Newbie's Guide to Wireless Networks

formatting link

Reply to
craig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.