WAG54G Ethernet ports not responding

Dear alt.internet.wirelessers,

I have a linksys wag54g with a wireless access working perfectly except for ethernet ports that started losing connections in an off-on manner and finally went dead. Sometime I see the port led flickering for second but the connection never get established.

I tried changing the lan cable, plugged the router to my laptop, changed the ethe card on my desktop and none have worked.

Finally I have given up and got a new linksys wag54gx2.

But what I need to know is the main cause of wag54g losing ethernet ports connectivity and if that is some of linksys flaws.

Thanks

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani
Loading thread data ...

Why not just buy a ethernet switch? You can pick up some 100 Mb switches for a good low price. Hardware fails, especially in this price segment of the market. If you are worried about failures get a dedicated AP and leave the router to dedicated hardware. It will also make your network more robust, so if a port fails in the future you will not have to replace the whole router/AP.

Rthoreau

Reply to
rthoreau

On 12 Aug 2006 07:06:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com wrote in :

All 4 LAN ports, or just one of them?

Probably just a hardware failure, a rare failure for any brand.

Won't help if all 4 LAN ports are dead because there wouldn't be anywhere to connect it.

Reply to
John Navas

It's a rare case. I would suspect that the wireless would go out first and not the wire.

I like to protect such devices with a UPS/AVR to power clean and constant so that they don't take hits from other household appliances switching on/off spiking the line that could lead to the router going defective.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yes all the 4 ports were not establishing connections.

Well it appears to be a hardware failure but what I was thinking about why linksys are not making routers with multi-point failure with regard to ethernet ports. i.e failure of one port should not affect the rest.

Correct.

Thanks all.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

On 12 Aug 2006 13:08:08 -0700, "aljuhani" wrote in :

Not so surprising: All 4 LAN ports are probably controlled by a single chip.

Reply to
John Navas

John.

Well surprise surprise. when I changed "Link Speed / duplex mode", under the NIC advanced tab, from "auto negotiation" to "10 Mbps / half duplex" the network connection immediately established with firm non-flashing port led on the router!.

Any ideas?

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

On 13 Aug 2006 05:28:41 -0700, "aljuhani" wrote in :

Autonegotiation was problematic in some early chips.

Reply to
John Navas

"aljuhani" hath wroth:

1. NWAY negotiation between some devices is a problem. However, I haven't seen that problem on current hardware.
  2. More common is a miswired ethernet cable with split pairs. It will test ok for continuity, and has the correct wire connections, but there is so much crosstalk between data pairs that full duplex fails to function.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hello Jeff.

Thanks for your input.

The lan connection was only established at 10 Mbps and nothing above or auto negotiation but finally I have managed to get the router working.

I had a feeling that the 3rd party firmware installed 8 months before the problem is what causing all this so I decided to downgrade the original firmware ver. (WAG54G_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.02.7_03_code.bin). Of course the downgrading to said firmware was not possible thru the GUI so I did the followings:

1. Plugged the router to my laptop at 10 Mbps connection after applying hard-reset.

1. Downloaded tftp.exe from linksys ftp website:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe

1. Started TFTP Client and entered the gateway value 192.168.1.1 for server, admin for password, and selected the firmware 1.02.7 to upload.

It all went well as firmware installed successfully and router auto rebooted. I then accessed my NICs options and changed the Link Speed back to auto negotiation mode after which the port led where lan cable is connected started blinking and connection established at 100 Mbps with no problems.

I then reconfigured thru GUI my ADSL specifics and authenticated ok.

Thanks to all for the Help ...

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

What exact version of the WAG54G firmware did *NOT* work? I assume you're somewhere in Europe.

The Linksys US web pile shows no firmware images for either the WAG54G v1 or v2.

Interesting reading on the WAG54G firmare:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The firmware that were causing the problem on my WAG54G V1 is (WAG54G_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.03.0_beta4_00_code) provided by 3rd party.

As mentioned before I re-flashed the firmware back to (WAG54G_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.02.7_03_code.bin) which is working fine and I will be upgrading to the latest firmware provided by linksys Saudi Arabia.

formatting link
the WAG54G used here is the EU AnnexA versions.

Currently I have a WAG54GX2 SRX200 but also I will be using my old WAG54G.

Thanks

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.