VPN over airport hotspots?

I use VPN at the free hotspot at McCarren airport in Las Vegas with no problem. Where are you trying it at? Come to think of it, many of the generic ones (like t-mobile) are actually VPN's run on various free hotspots.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Anyone had trouble trying to VPN to another system when online over an airport wireless hotspot? Is it typical that VPN service would be blocked on public hotspots like this? I am able to surf, check email OK, but can't get VPN to work. Thanks. -- tom c

Reply to
Tom C.

All but one of the hotspots that I have used allow VPN. In Airports, I see the AT&T/Intle hotspot advertisements, and I have used Nortel Contivity VPN client there.

One hotspot had a splash screen suggesting that there were two ways to connect: behind their NAT router with a tight firewall that would not allow VPN, or on the internet with a routable IP and absolutely no firewall. I chose option #2, ran VPN successfully, and was entertained by the number of attacks that my ZoneLab firewall was trapping.

Reply to
dold

Thanks for the input, folks. Appreciate it. "Tom C."

Reply to
Tom C.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.