Printer? What am I doing wrong???

I have a printer attached to this computer. I want the two upstairs to use this printer. I have set up the wireless system to share eveything, I think? I have tried adding a printer and just about every thing else I can think of . It just doesn't seem to want to share.

I know probably more information is needed so please ask me what you need.

Thanks David

Reply to
David Lawson
Loading thread data ...

If you share the printer (on the computer it is attached to), the printer should show up in your network places. That is, when you type in Windows Explorer's address line: \computername , you should see that computer and any shares that computer is providing, including the shared printer.

Reply to
Jerry Park

David,

It would be helpful to know which OS (Win98, XP Home, XP Pro, etc. you have.

Louie Chiefland, FL, USA

Reply to
Louie

If you are running XP set up each PC so that they all belong to the same Workgroup (right click on My Computer and select properties)

Restart and you should sbe able to navigate to each PC from Windows Explorer. then you can get the printer.

Alternitively buy a print server. Then you dont need to have the PC, that the printer is current attached to, 'on' all the time.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Try installing printer on each PC first

Regards Bri@n

I know probably more information is needed so please ask me what you need.

Thanks David

Reply to
Brian

Are using a firewall program?

Allow the range of NAT addresses on your router in the firewall for each computer.

David Laws> I have a printer attached to this computer. I want the two upstairs to use

Reply to
hxbarney

I just did this...make sure your firewall is configured to allow for file and printer sharing.

-

-- snipped-for-privacy@akaMail.com Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

This computer was ME upgraded to XP. The two other computers were Christmas gifts and are XP.

I feel like I'm getting closer but can't wait to see a page with some letters on it.

Reply to
David Lawson

Will not print from the computer it's installed on? Check printer settings. May have to uninstall and reinstall. If you have a web page, can you post a screen shot or two of the printer setup?

Do you have *all* the computers in a single workgroup? On your PC's, in XP, go to Control Panel, System, Compter Name tab and make sure all have the same workgroup name. After that, whichever PC the printer is connected to, go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes. Right click on the installed printer and choose Sharing Go to the Sharing tab and choose Share this printer and give it a name. Click OK. You *should* see a cupped hand printer icon now in Printers and Faxes. Your printer is now shared. If running a firewall, create a rule so local PC's can access the printer. HTH

Louie Chiefland, FL, USA

Reply to
Louie

David

Reply to
David Lawson

I had that same problem. 3 comps could see each other and share files but not the printer. The comp the printer is attached to had it shown as sharing as HP LaserJet. I changed the designation to just LaserJet and it could then be shared. I have no idea why except maybe the space between HP and LaserJet was the problem. FWIW HTH

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.