using Linksys "gaming adapter" w/5 port workgroup switch

Help!

I want to set up internet access for a several computers in a different room from my wireless gateway (Linksys WAG54G). Linksys support said the only way to do this was to buy two of their access points (WAP54G was recommended) and set them both up in wireless bridging mode, with one of those physically connected to my gateway, and the other connected to a network switch (where I could then plug in the different computers I want to get on the network.)

The kids at the "Big Box Computer Store" said I could do this and save a lot of setup hassle w/a wireless gaming adapter (Linksys WGA54G). Sure enough the setup was easy enough, but only one of my computers plugged into the network switch has internet access. Now I'm unsure whether it's a setting on my second computer that's the problem, or was this doomed to failure from the start (can the WGA54G only handle one IP address at a time?)

Can someone offer any tricks to try before I take the gaming adapter back and get an couple access points?

thanks! Frank

Reply to
Frank Noge
Loading thread data ...

As usual Linksys support is mostly correct. What you're trying to do is simulatenously play transparent bridge and access point at the same time. This can be done.

Disaster. I wouldn't expect the minimum wage sales kids to know the difference between a "workgroup bridge" and a "client bridge". The names and designations change often enough to be confusing. I wanted to scribble a document explaining the exact designations, and gave up. Too messy.

What's happening is that your "game adapter" will only bridge one MAC address at a time. Other "game adapters" will do more than one. For example, the WET11 will do more than one. However, it's apparently beneath the various manufacturers dignity to explain this minor detail. I should compile a list of client radios that actually do support more than one MAC address, but don't have the time to verify rumors and check compatibility.

Nope. Won't happen. However, I have a suggestion. Take the WGA54G back and buy a Linksys WRT54G. Download free Sveasoft Alchemy software which has a multiple client mode:

formatting link
feature list proclaims: "Client mode (support multiple attached devices)"

Another way is to use WDS (wireless distribution system). If your existing router supports WDS, that will work. The WGA54G does NOT support WDS, so it goes back anyway. With WDS, just configure your two routers to talk to each other and then either connect or directly plug into the LAN ports or either box.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.