Help: Thinkpad 560X, Realtek 8180 and windows98 wireless problems

I am having this strange problem. An old Thinkpad with Win98 and a wireless Realtek 8180 chip based PCIcard.

When i install the network and card it connects and all is fine. Even connects after a boot.

But when i shut down the machine and powers it up the next day, it ca not find any wireless network. It is blinking shortly in tx/rx but not in link.

I can then uninstall all network and install it again and everything is fine. But next day, same story.

I have tried Windows ME, with same result. Tried lastest drivers for realtek card, same result. Tried giving it a static ip address, but that did not help either.

I have another thinkpad (i think it is a 600E), with win98 and a card with same chip. It had the same problems in the beginning but it dissapered,

There are no problems with the wireless router as i connect with 2 other machines.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Rgds,

Rene

Reply to
Rene Pryning
Loading thread data ...

My memory of Win98 and wireless is that support is flakey and unreliable. I had similar problems with both a PCI and USB card and never solved them. I did find that ipconfig / release then ipconfig /renew usually got networking back tho.

Upgrade to XP, I'm afraid. 98 is now over 7 years old and thats virtually antique for an OS. .

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I dont think that XP can run on a Thinkpad 560X, it is too old for that. Since i have it running on another machine it must be possible.

Other ideas ?

Rgds,

Rene

Reply to
rpr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.