Any way to extend range of internal wireless PCI card in PC?

I assume things like a Hawking antennas are normally placed on a router.

Can they be connected to a remote Desktop PC as well? Example: One on the wireless router and one on the wireless (remote - another part of house) PC to gain maximum ability to pick up a signal? Or does it just need to be on the router?

Are there any products without changing to USB (where you can put unit on top of a table or move it around a little) to provide a better signal off the PC Wireless PCI Card antenna (back of PC)? Perhaps take that antenna off of PC and attach a cable that can extend

3 feet perhaps to an antenna type base on top of a table or somewhere...I am sking if such a product exists or should I just go USB to get antenna where it needs to be?

Thanks, Patty

Reply to
Patty Amas
Loading thread data ...

You didnt say what kind of pc card, but linksys offers an antenna stand with 6 foot cable...........

formatting link
and the antenna
formatting link
This is linksys specific though. Each manufacturer has a differnet antenna connection (by fcc rules) so you may have to buy a pigtail with the proper connections on both ends.

extend

Reply to
Airhead

Hi,

Netgear also has a card that clames an external antenna, the WAG311. I am in the market for a PCI card myself but will probably go for the less expensive WG311T, as I live in a small condo and don't need the added range.

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.