Two WAPs connected by cable for roaming?

I have CAT5 cable running to first and second story rooms in the house. As laptops, PDA's and maybe VOIP have come into more use, I want to improve the coverage.

Here's what I have:

1. an old WRT54GS v.1 that cannot handle DHCP routing and gateway services properly, but does still work as a WAP. I have SVEASOFT Talisman installed. Host name - SVEASOFT, IP 192.168.1.2
  2. a new Linksys WRT54GS v.7 that broadcasts a strong signal but has limited functionality because of the OS. Host name WRT54GS, IP
  1. cable modem and hubs.

My requirements:

1. Use WRT54GS as the gateway, DHCP, firewall and router so that it can cover the downstairs and support desktops and server.
  2. Connect SVEASOFT to WRT54GS as a repeater/AP/client-bridge (what ever is available in the software)
  3. I would like to use the same ESSID for both and the same WPA shared key for both and have them on the same 192.168.1.x network. This would allow roaming with devices.

There is little mention of how to do this with cable, although I think it would be preferable to using WDS. I may not be able to do it because of roaming is not supported.

What I've tried while using the same ESSID and WPA shared key:

1. If I set up SVEASOFT as a Repeater and disable internet access and connect it to WRT54GS for gateway, the network throughput degrades.
  2. If I set up SVEASOFT as an ACCESS POINT and use WRT54GS as the gateway, the network throughput degrades.

After two days of Googling, I'm asking for suggestions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
al_erola
Loading thread data ...

Ditch sveasoft. Load dd-wrt on it instead. works great.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Just an aside for you, and something I found out (unfortunately the hard way), the WRT54GS is a wap/router, and while it has a starting address of .1, there are four router ports so it actually uses .1 to .4, your having something on .2 will conflict with one of the router ports.... If the wirelss is turned on, be aware that those ip addresses may also conflict

That being said, got a tivo? for sure that, some voip devices, and some PDA's will not let you use anything but wep....

The seemless roaming, while it is supposed to work, never did (well I quit trying when I found something that worked), I just have two (now actually 4 wap/routers) with different ssids (PPinMD-a -b -c and -d), (a and c are public and only have the internet, b and d are private and have wpa and a different subnet)

Fraid I never tried the alternate firmaware so can't give you any suggestions on that....

Reply to
Peter Pan

check out

formatting link
i use WRT54GS (new 2mb version) w/ DD-WRT micro version and a WRT54GL with DD-WRT v23sp2 standard. Both are connected via WDS. The GS i have previous owner claimed it didn't work when it was givin to me. I flashed it works great.

Standard flash w/ dd-wrt is pretty easy. The micro version for the newer GS models is quite a bit more involved. I always double and tripple check what i am doing as it is possible to brick a router if not carefull and you might want to read up via there web site and google before attempting it.

Do some research for setting up the WDS. It can be a bit picky about certian things esp during setup. performance wise WDS should handle everything just fine.

WPA will work with WDS but no wireless B clients, if it's all "g" then no problem unless u have a tivo or something that only works with WEP.

I don't use the same SSID in my setup. I makes it confusing which network you are connected or trying to connect to. (i don't bother with auto connect/roaming etc) Yes you can tell via ip address but kinda of a pain with same name.

hope this helps.

Reply to
bman

thread:

formatting link
oh and use internet exlorer for flashing, some other browers while i like them better sometimes have problems. Use the *standard.bin for you router model and check *.bin file intergrity after download. read the info and .txt install notes from dd-wrt. Do not use wireless connection for flashing. I think thats the basics. Hope this helps.

Reply to
bman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.