Still can't connect

Thanks to everyone who suggested things I should try to get my daughter's PC to connect to my home wireless network. But no success. :-(

I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, serving three PCs - two desktops and a laptop. They're all running Windows XP (one vanilla, one SP1 and one SP2). Everything was fine until I had to re-install my daughter's desktop PC.

Ever since I have been unable to connect to the home network. I primarily want to connect to the Internet - not share resources.

I know that it's not a hardware problem since (a) I've tried two desktop wireless network cards (both Belkin) and (b) Control Panel reports that the cards are working OK.

I installed and re-installed the Belkin software several times. I always remove the card (as recommended) before re-installing the software. It makes no difference.

I can see the home network on my daughter's PC. When I double-click the Belkin icon in the system tray (which is always red when it should be green), I can see the home network in the list of "Available networks" and "Preferred networks". I just can't connect.

I've disabled all security (it was never enabled) on the router and all of the cards (in each of the PCs).

I've tried using Windows to manage the cards and also the Belkin software. It makes no difference.

One odd thing. When I select the "Link status" tab, I get nothing - no network, no packets, no signal, no noise - nothing. But when I select "Site monitor" I see a good (green) signal and a good signal/noise ratio. Weird. More confirmation that the card is transmitting and receiving OK.

I'm really puzzled by this and about to reformat her machine in desperation.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby
Loading thread data ...

In message , Bobby writes

Have you configured the Wireless Card including WEP?

Reply to
Richard Anderton

When you use the Belkin software have you stopped and disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration in COntrol Panel/AdminTools/Services

JP

Reply to
John

Have a look at Start/Settings/Network Connections

Does it show an active Wireless connection?

Does it show an *inactive* (with a red cross) Local Area Connection (if the PC also has an ethernet card)?

Under Wireless Connection/Properties/TCP-IP/Properties, what does it say for the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers?

Compare this with the wireless PC which is working ok. [The IP address should, of course, be different by 1 or 2 in the last digit, but everything else should be the same].

Is the router running 11b or 11g protocol (or mixed mode)? Is the PC set up to do the same - so that it can run in 11b mode if the signal's not good enough for 11g?

Reply to
Tiscali Tim

I've disabled all security - on everything (router, cards).

Reply to
Bobby

I've tried both Windows and Belkin software to manage the connection. It makes no difference.

Reply to
Bobby

Lots to try Tim. I'll get back when I can answer your questions. Cheers.

Reply to
Bobby

Which one is the offending machine?

Reply to
Simon Pleasants

Sorry, I should have made that clear.

It's my daughter's PC, running Windows XP SR1.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby

Make sure Qos Packet scheduler is NOT installed for the wireless connection in its network settings.

There was also a problem with one of the WPA updates ISTR.

HTH

L3K

Reply to
Linker3000

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.