Somone is using the same channel as I'm using.. How can I prevent that ?

If you jam their frequency, you also jam your own. That doesn't work well. We have similar coordination problems:

formatting link
might want to talk to them before you resort to jamming.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

And the answer is ... jail time! It is strictly illegal to attempt to jam other people's wireless networks. They may not be interferring with you on purpose, but a phone call to them *on a friendly basis* is much more likely to end up with everyone getting along without legal battles. How much trouble could it be for you to change channels?

Reply to
Rôgêr

I should have checked your headers first, I was speaking of the situation here in the U.S., not familiar with your country's laws. But I have a feeling the laws will be similar.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Do you not understand how to change the channel on your own AP? Seems like that would be better than arguing with someone else about their choice of channels.

Reply to
Jerry Park

If they are using multiple channels (and with b&g networks, only three of the available channels are useful) then they probably have no option to change channels and you don't either. If your signal strength at your own location is insufficient to override theirs, then you have few options.

Suggest you c>You dont understand .. almost every channel is ussed ... no and I cant

Reply to
Jerry Park

Hello I've got the problem with wireless network .. commercial network whith is trying to turn my wireless net off ... now they are transmiting on my channel .. Is there any way to disturb they network so much that they will feel afraid ... and stop doing that to my ?

Please give me any answer ...

Reply to
Malinowski Pawe³

The ironical thing here is that you are probably causing the same problems for them that they are causing for you. The first step in resolving this would be to talk with them and try to work something out. One of you will likely need to change channels.

Reply to
Gordon

Well .. I've tried to talk .. but I was ignored .. the small company owned by extrealmy greedy person, who is not happy when some frequency is not his is my problem.

It's hard to speak with him and it's impossible to convine him with a normal ways .. now he have one station only for destroyng my network purpose ... that's why I'm asking anyone for help with that in that way ....

When he will understand my sentence: "You are not plaing fair .... shell I do the same to You ?" He will probobly give up with a war becouse he have

230 people in his network ... he have got much to lose ...

So now when You understand situation .... You see that it's my last chance ....

Hope noone will ever have a problems like I have ..

Uzytkownik "Gordon" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Malinowski Pawel

Reply to
Malinowski Pawel

If your computer shows that his signal strength is stronger than yours, it is possible that he is transmitting at a power level that is above the legal limit. You could contact whatever government agency regulates this kind of thing there and report it. That may even free up EVERY channel for you.

Reply to
TV Slug

Here are two more options I should have included.

1) Tell him that you will shut down your access point (giving him a cleaner signal) in exchange for free access to his access point. 2) If your access point and PC network card allow it, change your "region" to Australia or Japan. Australia allows for 13 channels, and Japan allows for 14. Pick the highest channel number you can to avoid as much interference as possible. There will still be some overlap from channel 11, though. And remember that you will be the one running an illegal signal then.
Reply to
TV slug

Which ever has more influence with the local authorities, an individual cracker caught trying to break in or the company under attack, gets to use that channel.

Smart thinking and good advice... if you like free room and board in a state operated hotel.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

think I'd try a reflector aimed his way on my antenna, match his ssid, and unplug my wan when I wasn't using it.

Reply to
bumtracks

If there are other AP's on the same channel, it shouldn't really matter.

802.11x was designed so that multiple AP's can be on the same or overlapping channels. If there's so much activity that it kills each others' bandwidth, thats another story.
Reply to
JM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.