My Netgear router thinks Ebay is the same as s*x!!

I want to block some websites on my home network. I used to use the HOSTS file, which worked fine up to a point, although it was a pain maintaining the file up to date. Then I looked at DNSKong, which seemed really good on paper, but I never managed to set it up properly.

Then I got a Netgear DG834g router (magic!) and found the 'Block sites' function very functional. However it seems to block some sites even though there is nothing sinister in the URLs. I did some basic testing and found for example that entering 'sex' as one of the keywords frequently (but not always) prevents access to the

formatting link
homepage! There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

Anybody come across this problem before? Is it a design problem (unlikely?) or I have not got the router setup properly? I'm using XP and Firefox, and I have two PCs wired into the router.

Does anybody use DNSKong behind a NAT router? If so can they please give me some pointers into how to set up the IP address etc? I have done a lot of reading on the subject, but have ended up even more confused!

Grateful for all input. Thanks

HS

Reply to
hs
Loading thread data ...

It depends on what you want to block.

I have effectively blocked off the Internet to my kids PCs by blocking various TLDs (.com, .co.uk etc) based on an all day schedule.

Reply to
Dr Teeth

Ebay is better than SEX!!

Reply to
Dave

hs wrote: I did some basic

It wouldnt be when there was a featured auction on the front page like 'Sexy outfit' or 'sussex history book' etc would it??

Lee

Reply to
Bales1983 (Lee Bales)

Like right now 'WATCHES LADIES ''sexy'' WATCH 2005 style.(an.s.)' is on there

Sorry to reply to own post

Lee

Reply to
Bales1983 (Lee Bales)

It's not supposed to work like that, is it?? The user manual indicates that the website's URL must contain the keyword to be blocked, eg if 'sex' is a keyword, then

formatting link
would be blocked but
formatting link
would not

HS

Reply to
HS

Depends on who's paying ;-)

Reply to
kraftee

Surely a decent filter can detect the difference between sex and sussex

Reply to
Mike NG

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.