Solve this wireless card mystery

Got a Dell Inspiron 2500 and a "Dynex DX-WGNBC" PCMCIA network card, which is apparently a Best Buy store brand. Seems to have an Atheros chipset.

I initially install it on the laptop, which has a very poorly running installation of Win ME. Works fine. Then I format and install Win2K. The card doesn't work. The driver installs, looks good in device manager, etc. But the connection manager refuses to see any networks. I install Service Pack 2, and that does nothing. Out of desperation, I try SP4. Nothing. I uninstall, reboot, check device manager in safe mode, and try the driver from the Dynex website. Still won't work.

I try the card on a HP laptop, also running Win2K SP4 and it works fine. I try a Netgear USB wireless adapter on the Dell and that works.

Finally, I format and install XP on the Dell and the card works! What the heck?

Reply to
hondgm
Loading thread data ...

Did you examine the installation CD for driver folders labeled WinME/Win2K? Dynex manufactures good, but not exceptional peripheral PC-Card devices; Dynex is not a Best Buy brand, AFIK.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.