Slow speed

Running a Linksys WAP54G and a D-Link DWL-G510 Wireless G Adapter installed in a Athlon 64 box running Win 2K. The two devices are 10 feet apart with clear line-of-sight between them. Larger antennas on the WAP54G.

I can get 60 mbs across the wired LAN, but can barely pull 11 mbs acrsoss the wireless segment. I've tried a Foxconn g card with similar results.

The utility on the computer indicates that I should have 54 mbs available.

I've looked at the WAP54G options and can find nothing that would be limiting bandwidth.

What can I do to get faster transfers?

TIA,

CV

Reply to
Cal Vanize
Loading thread data ...

Cal Vanize hath wroth:

That's about right for 100baseT-HDX (half duplex).

At 54Mbits/sec wireless connection, you should get about 20-25 mbits/sec.

I don't know. You might be getting some interference from other users on the channel. Try a different channel (1, 6, or 11) and see if it helps.

Which hardware version WAP54G? V1 v1.1 v2 v3? Verify that you have the latest version firmware for your hardware model.

Also, just for fun, try changing the "transmission rate" in the WAP54G from "auto" to 54Mbits/sec. The "auto" setting responds to wireless errors. The more errors, the slower it runs. |

formatting link
There doesn't seem to be any way to disarm the 802.11b compatibility mode in the WAP54G. This is probably what's slowing you down. If it hears *ANY* 802.11b frames, the WAP54G will slow down for a while to listen to the 802.11b data, and later return to 802.11g mode. Max theoretical thruput is about 14Mbits/sec in 802.11b compatibility mode. By forcing the speed to 54Mbits/sec, you effectively turn off the 802.11b compatibility mode. |
formatting link
Also, try it with "frame burst mode" turned "off".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.