A Stand Alone Client Q

The built it wifi on my laptop died, but i have a usb wifi dongle, and the windows wii keeps trying to use the internal one (that is dead).. a while back i had software that created a 3rd thing in connections(seperate from wired and wireless - old linksys external usb), but haven't seen anything like that for a while, and seems if i can find something that doesn't use the windows/built in stuff, maybe i could keep using the wifi at home, without opening the laptop up and replacing the card... any thoughts or pointers to where to look?

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

If it's dead. why not remove the card? Usually it's in a well accessed by a door on the bottom. You can get replacements pretty cheap on eBay, too.

As a start, try removing the device from device manager in the system settings in control panel. Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Been There, done that, just have a few older laptops in my junkbox, new on my wireless network, (have 5 newer working laptops, this is an old one, just new years/going thru the junk box/trying to either make junk work or toss it (not worth spending money on old stuff)... with all the talk of network storage, i was wondering if i could get it working wireless and hang a USB

1tb drive on it at any rate, since i asked the firsrt q, want to modify it a bit, play a bit with torrents and got a torrent of an already activated xp/sp3 install but has no wifi stuff, one older laptop works fine on wireless with ubuntu linux (so i know the card is okay), but not when i install windoze, and it's an older laptop made by a company so no drivers available... was hoping with a 3rd party client (that runs standalone under windows) i could use it on the wireless network as a node for storage/printing/etc

ps, also got the stuff to install it on a flash drive, would be cool to have all my own stuff (including a wifi client) on a portable flash drive... just odd that it works easy/fine with linux, but you have to jump thru hoops to do it with windows.... hate to say it, but the more i play with linux, the more i like it, and hate windows....

Reply to
Peter Pan

ooops, spoke too soon about the card being dead, booted with a linux live cd (ubuntu) and the wireless card works fine with that, so it's probably the windows thats corrupt, not the card itself... at any rate, was thinking of an older program (odyssey, made by funk software, they are gone..... or the software put out a while back by linksys with their external usb devices, but since cisco took them over, they don't sell or support it anymore)

Reply to
Peter Pan

"Odyssey" is still available and supported.

If you know what your WiFi card model is why don't you just check to see if the manufacturer of the card has "client s'ware" available that you can download? If you don't wish to use the inbuilt wifi why not disable it using windows "device manager"?

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.