Set up a WRT54G gateway/router as an access point

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how to setup a WRT54G router as an access point. I am in a building where internet is available through the LAN, and I bought this router so I can let my wireless notebooks also connect to the internet. How do I set up this WRT54G router on te LAN so I can connect to the LAN/internet with my wireless devices?

Regards Ettiene Grobler

Reply to
ettiene
Loading thread data ...

This has only been covered about 20 times in the last year. One more time for the Google challenged.

1. Change the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.2. The idea is to not duplicate the IP address of the main router
  2. Optionally set the SSID and encryption keys to the same on both routers.
  3. Ignore the WAN port. The WAN port is not used.
  4. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the 2nd router.
  5. Connect a cable between one LAN port on the first router, to a LAN port on the 2nd router. You may need a crossover cable. Make sure the front panel light are correct for the ports when you plug in the cable.

I assume that this is a corporate network and that you are required by company policy to ask the IT department before attaching anything to the network. In many companies, this is sufficient to have your emplyment terminated as it constitutes a major security risk to the rest of the network. Get permission before you even think about doing this.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.