Router keeps going offline

I have a wireless Linksys router that keeps losing the signal for 30seconds or so about every 10 minutes. The "wireless" signal is there and strong but the actual transmission doesn't happen during these periods. Just plain annoying. Any recommendations? Anything I can do or check with the router? Direct connect to my cable is always fine so it must be in the router.

Mike

Reply to
Michael
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like external interference, try changing the channel...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Could a similar linksys router across the street be causing it? I pick my neighbors very nicely.

Reply to
Michael

In my case I think that the problem was in the cable service. I wasn't losing the signal quite that frequently, but I live in an area that has seen an explosion of new cable subscribers which means less bandwidth and less of a signal which may make you more vulnerable to dropouts. When they announced an upgrade I noticed fewer dropouts.

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

What kind of AP are you using? Are you supporting 11b and 11g clients? Sometimes it has to do with the backwards compatibility issue. If you only have 11b clients - set up your AP to only talk to 11b clients. Same with

11g - if you only use 11g cards. If you have both (like I do) - you get flakey performance. I'm just guessing dude. I'd need more info.

Cheers

Reply to
Tim Lessard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.