Wireless Router keeps going out of service -- probed on various ports

So, my D-Link router keeps failing. It says its access to the internet is fine, but it won't give me anything until I power cycle it. I worked out the password eventually (there's a little story behind my three failed login attempts) and watched the log. I think Zombies are trying to attack me. Could this be causing my problem? Ion

Reply to
ion
Loading thread data ...

Duane, Thanks. I don't think it's the connection to the ISP, as I can't ping the router itself when I get my error. I'm suspicious that it's neighbors using my connection, as it's not password protected. Ion

Reply to
ion

ion said the following on 7/19/2005 8:51 AM:

Your log listing shows connection attempts every few minutes. This is not an attack, for a home connection this is normal maybe even slow.

Duane is right, your router can handle this and gobs more.

Lance

Reply to
Lance

Hmmm... The original message didn't show up on Newsguy.com (yet).

Tell that to my Linksys BEFW11S4v4 router. Two attacks (forgot which ones) will cause it to go comatose. Try: |

formatting link
of the other routers I've tested survive just fine. The ones that failed are really old or have ancient firmware. Anyway, it's worth testing.

If that doesn't work, here's 10 ways to kill a zombie: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

NO

The router should be able to deal with thousands of unsolicited inbound traffic from scans and attacks.

Did you try a hard reset of the router?

Have you tried re-flashing the router with the current version of the firmware the router is using or a later version?

Maybe, the router is going defective.

Maybe, the connection to the ISP is bad.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I tried it and the Watchguard Firebox III SOHO 6 never even flinched. I also ran that against my 11S4 v1 router when it was the border device. As I recall, it didn't have any problems either.

Out of the I would say millions of scans and attacks that came at the 11S4 when it was the border device only two probes came past it at SQL server, which prompted me to go get the WG.

formatting link
;-) Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I had a problem with the ISP several months ago. And several months prior to that I had the same problems. They perodically ran a network maintenance, test or whatever and it would hose my connection particular connecting the NG servers. The first time after I didn't pay the bill in time it was cutoff. I paid the bill and got a new IP assigned from the ISP and the problems away. I failed to pay bill again in time and got a new IP and the problems cameback. I called the ISP and at first they refused to give me a new IP that I demanded. But I went off on them and hammered them and got the new IP and no more problems.

It's just a little rant. ;-)

You may want to look into disabling DHCP on the router and using static IP(s) with possibly changing the Subnet Mask on the router away from

formatting link

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Well, maybe not me in particular. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Reply to
ion

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.