Restrict Roaming Users Access

Where I work, we have users who work on the internal network and roaming users who work out on site, but reguarly visit the office. The users working on the internal network have their internet access restricted so they cannot access anything malicious. However, the roaming users internet access is not restricted. My boss is keen for the roaming users to be able to come in the office, and have wireless access to certain files/folders on the file server and printers on the internal network. However, he is keen that they do not have full access to the network as they could have malicious files on their laptops that could infect the whole network. What is the best way to go about doing this? The only solution I've been offered so far is to have a completely separate network with a file server that reguarly synchronizes with the internal network and to have seperate printers as well. Has anyone got any better ideas?

Reply to
addygill
Loading thread data ...

Help me out a little here... What type of wireless gear are you using?

If it's commercial grade gear I recommend the creation of a second wireless network which would match the network that the users have at their remote sites. Then put an access list on that SSID only (this is why it's important to have commercial gear, it can do this.) With an ACL in place on the second SSID, you can prevent certain protocols from accessing the network.

Chris NetSteady

866-678-WIFI
Reply to
NetSteady

Thanks for your reply. At the moment, we haven't bought any wireless gear at all. We're willing to buy whatever's necessary though. What commercial gear would you recommend? Also, what protocols would you block?

Reply to
addygill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.