Repeater is working, yet no connection

Hi all,

with an access point which is configured as a repeater, I'm trying to extend the range of a wireless router (also see my post a few days ago). I have managed to get the signal strengthened, so I assume that the AP is working well. However, my notebook cannot access the internet through the extended signal, only through the original signal. Can anybody think of a good reason for this behaviour?

Thanks! Herbert

Reply to
Herbert Grünzig
Loading thread data ...

"Herbert Grünzig" hath wroth:

Fill in the blanks:

with an [maker and model number] access point which is configured as a repeater, I'm trying to extend the range of a [maker and model number] wireless router (also see my post a few days ago) [article number]. I have managed to get the signal strengthened [how have you "strengthened" the signal?] , so I assume that the AP is working well [how do you know it's working?]. However, my notebook cannot access the internet through the extended signal, only through the original signal. Can anybody think of a good reason for this behaviour?

Sure.

1. Your unspecified models hardware are incompatible. This is a common problem with repeaters, range extenders, and marketing buzzwords.

1. You have MAC address filtering enabled in your unspecified wireless router. You need to add the repeater's MAC address.

2. You have WPA encryption enabled. WPA and repeaters don't seem to coexist.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

here's the missing data:

Previous Posting: news:ecjrh6$t28$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sap-ag.de DSL-Router: DI-624 (AirPlus XtremeG, 801.11g, compatible to .11b) Access Point: DWL-700 AP

When I configure the AP as a repeater, it sometimes works well, then I reveive a strong ("strengthened") signal. That's why I mentioned I suppose it's working well.

Your answers you were giving:

1) probably, is there an overview where I could see if they are? 2) no MAC filtering 3) no encryption

Thanks a lot so far! Herbert

Reply to
Herbert Grünzig

"Herbert Grünzig" hath wroth:

The "sometimes" is an important clue. The DWL-700AP has a built in DHCP server. If there is another DHCP server in the system, this MUST be turned off in order for things to work. The default is off, but it's worth checking.

formatting link
Check the log files on both the router and the repeater for clues.

OK. That means you're hearing the DWL-700AP and that the SSID's are correct. You can only view the log pages in the DWL-700AP from a wired connection to the ethernet port. Check the log pages for problems.

The DLink support web site has some information on repeater and range stretcher compatibility. You might want to review all the applicable articles: |

formatting link
there's nothing about repeater compatibility such as what they list with other repeater products.

Also, check that you have the latest firmware.

How to setup repeater mode in the DWL-700AP |

formatting link
My usual pitch line is that repeaters only work with access points and routers that use the same chipsets. The DI-624 uses an Atheros AR5002 while I think (not sure) that the DWL-700AP uses an ADMtek ADM8628. In general, the vendor difference is an invitation for a problem, but I've been suprised by allegedly incompatible chipsets working just fine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.