Regular drop out with BT Voyager 2100

I have been successfully using the Voyager2100 wireless router - but one evening when I switched on my pc (running Windows 2000) I found that the wireless network icon at the bottom of my screen kept switching on and off. The message that accompanied this stated "wireless network unplugged" & the green icon with the wireless status kept going from no bars to full bars. The interval for the switching on and off is less than a second. This repeated itself for a full hour before I switched off the machine. I tested a second laptop (running windows XP) on the wireless network and the same thing happened to that connection (it too had previously worked okay).

For your info: All Virus and spyware detection software are up to date & all Windows updates installed

What I have attempted to do to resolve the issue:

1. I rebooted the voyager router and reset the configuration

1. All went well until I set the network authentication to WEP & the encryption to WPA-PSK (with a network key composed of capitals, lower case and numbers)

3.I rebooted again and set the configuration except didnot encrypt the data

1. I downloaded the latest driver for the router

5.I have even changed the channel setting in case of outside interference

The only way to keep a stable connection is not to have encryption/authentication which is very concerning. I have tested this over a period of a month and no improvement.

Is my voyager router defective or is this something someone else has come across before?

I am also using BT Voyager laptop adapters.

Reply to
cornwallis
Loading thread data ...

It's possible that you are actually connecting to a neighbor's wireless, which is prevented when you enable encryption, because your signal is too weak or nonexistent. Be sure to set a unique SSID in your wireless router. Then use Network Stumbler (free) to see what wireless networks are available (including your own).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.