Extending Range on Linksys BEFW11S4

Doesn't exist. All the "hacked" firmware is for the Broadcom chipset used in the Linux based routers such as the WRT54G.

However, if your purpose is to extend the range, it's much more productive to do it with antennas than by cranking up the power. Let's say your dream is fullfilled and you find a way to increase the TX power of your BEFW11S4 from +15dBm to +25dBm. That's a 10dB increase which is about what you get with a biquad, coffee can, or panel antenna. However, it's only benificial in transmit. The world can hear you 10dB better than before, but you can't hear any better than before you hacked the TX power. An improved antenna increases both the TX and RX range. For every dB of improvement in transmit, you get the same improvement in receive. Therefore, you're range increases symmetrically. Look for a better antenna.

Incidentally, there's a name for such devices. They're called "alligators" which is an animal with a big mouth (TX) and small ears (RX).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I am looking for hacked firmware that can extend the range on my Linksys router model BEFW11S4. Can anyone send the link or instructions on how to do this? Thanks

Reply to
Mark

Jeff, thank you very much for your insightful answer. I will seek out new antennae. I have seen them out there on the market. Something to learn everyday. Take care.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I have a pair of windsurfer reflectors on my BEFW11S4.

formatting link
EZ-12. A single one on my Netgear:
formatting link

Reply to
dold

Try some reflectors on the cheap.

formatting link
to
formatting link
!)

Reply to
Smartin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.