Promiscuous USB Wireless adpaters

Are there any USB wireless adapters that will operate in Promiscuous mode ?

I have a Zydas chipped USB wireless adapter and that only appears to recive traffic for its MAC address and broadcasts.

Using Ntop and Windows 2000.

Reply to
SteveP
Loading thread data ...

Sorry for the double post, my news server was a bit slow updating last night.

Reply to
SteveP

I've never seen a wireless network card that can support promiscuous mode. If your goal is to create a network bridge then this can still be achieved. Using Windows XP I was able to get around using promiscuous mode by forcing my network adapter in my network bridge into Layer 3 bridging mode(promiscuous mode means layer 2 bridging). Basicly it took TCP/IP packets and forwarded them between segments, with the source MAC address of packets passing through the bridge always showing up as the MAC address of the network bridge.

Email me if you'd like to know how to force Windows XP's network bridge into layer 3 mode.

snipped-for-privacy@internode.on.net.nospam (remove the .nospam)

Reply to
Memphis

Am I guilty of missusing a term then ?

Presumably there are wirelsss cards that will see all packets, is that what is refered to as RF Monitor mode ?

Reply to
SteveP

You are probably right. I dont know that much about wireless networking, but I've read about an RF monitor mode, where the card listens to a channel and saves what it decyphers. I've presumed wireless networking cards are different to standard ethernet cards in that they dont hear everything on a channel, as the transmission of 1 client might not be heard by another, but heard both clients can still be in range of the access point. It could be possible to capture every packet sent from a wireless access point.

Reply to
Memphis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.