Any wireless USB hubs?

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to eliminate having a physical USB cable come from my computer and go to my USB hub where I keep my camera, insteon interface, flash stick, and other USB devices plugged in. The only one I can find so far only has a range of 30 feet:

formatting link
I would like to be able to have my laptop still "see" my insteon interface (USB to Powerline) without having to physically wire up to it, so that I can "walk around" and program my scenes more naturally using my Insteon software in the rooms themselves. (I dont want to carry the insteon interface along with me).

Thanks

Reply to
RickH
Loading thread data ...

Oops I forgot... the transmitter side must be portable, there are a lot of 100 foot range units available but the transmitter is always a big box with these (implying desktop to hub usage). I'm looking for a system with a small laptop transmitter that can go over 30 feet. The size of the hub unit is unimportant because that is stationary in my office.

Reply to
RickH

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

How about using Remote Desktop or VNC form the laptop back to a desktop? That'd be a lot less hassle than screwing around with trying to make a device like that work over "wireless USB". I shudder to think that the driver nightmares...

I use RDP back from my laptop to do things like tune the positioning of my HD antenna in the attic. Works great and a lot less hassle than trying to put something in-line up in the attic or using walkie-talkies.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks, there are a quite a few 100 footers like this Icron where the computer-end unit is large. It appears that all the ones portable for a laptop only go to 30 feet probably because the transmitter end is just a small dongle. I was hoping a small one migh at least get me across the house, I'd rather not involve 2 computers if I dont have to.

Reply to
RickH

Thanks,

If the RF link is just "replacing the wire", then (in theory) there should be no driver issues as long as the RF hardware is negotiating the timing properly. But you never know until you try it, I do use the insteon interface mostly to just "mass dump" or "mass discover" my network in programming the switches.

Reply to
RickH

formatting link

Bluetooth?

Reply to
Ryan White

Yeah, well, drivers and USB are a train wreck. Do those units plug into a USB socket and act as a bridge or hub?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Nah, pretty much useless beyond 30 feet. Less when factoring typical residential interference issues.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Source code of a scatternet algorithm and routing table compilations.

Tested at 1000 feet.

formatting link

Reply to
Ryan White

Theories and academic tests are useless if they don't work in the real world. I've worked with at least a half-dozen different USB host adapters (the chipsets, that is, across dozens of cards and motherboards). I've likewise worked with nearly as many Bluetooth adapters. Experience has shown the typical specs cited for BT as being reasonable and repeatable in real world conditions. Is it possible, under ideal conditions to get greater coverage? Sure, just not when you factor brick, mortar, hardwood flooring, appliance noise, etc, into the mix. At least not for existing BT tech and the drivers they SHIP WITH.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Looking for a single-computer solution that just replaces the wire to my current wired USB hub, which works fine with the Insteon interface and other devices simultaneously (insteon, scanner, extra hard drive, and occasional camera in the fourth slot).

Reply to
RickH

The above works.

Reply to
Ryan White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.