Belkin Pre-N Report

Thought I'd pass along to the group my initial experience with a Belkin pre-n system. I have the pre-n router, a desktop card (which is really a PCI card with an adapter built into it for a wireless PC card to fit into), and a notebook card for my Dell Inspiron laptop.

The setup was incredibly easy. Most other networks I've set up have been Linksys, mostly because I'm familiar with their configuration utilities. The Belkin router software starts with a wizard that basically sets up everything automatically on a cable system (I'm sure there'd be a little more user input on a DSL/PPPoE setup, but not much). There is new software online for the network and desktop cards, which I'd highly recommend using (self-extracting zip file that winds up being identical to the "shipping" CD's except for updated drivers). I set up the system with WPA, which requires you to use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Service to manage the connection (the only thing I found surprising/disappointing).

While I didn't experience speeds and ranges that approached the estimates given on the box (6 to 8 times better than 802.11g), I did get both better range and throughput than I got on my previous Linksys Wireless A/B network. On that network I could sometimes get 30 mbps on the "A" network (but usually in the 20's), but the range was limited to about 1 room away. The "B" side was good for 6-7 mbps but had good range. On this system, I can get 100% signal on a room that is one floor up and slightly horizontal from the router, if the desktop is oriented properly, which is challenging with the card sticking out of the back of the machine, which in turn normally backs up into my desk. Even with it just shoved into its normal spot, a 70% signal is normal. Depending on how I position the desktop, throughput ranges from the high 30's to the low 40's, which I consider pretty good. My laptop now works in areas of the house that it never worked in, getting a

50% signal in the farthest reaches. It consistently delivers 25+ mbps even in the weak signal areas where "A" wasn't even an option. My guestimate is that range might be 100% better, but I haven't tried a scientifically valid experiment to verify.

I think there's probably more speed available through tweaking some settings. I've played with a few briefly, but so far they mostly seem to be range/speed trade-offs.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased. The network is fast enough and reliable enough for me to be able to do full system backups across the network, which is my toughest requirement. Streaming video and games seems to be excellent thus far as well. A little less puffery on their numbers and having their own software manage the connection with WPA on the notebook/desktop machines are the only significant shortcomings I see thus far.

Questions, comments, and others' experiences are welcome.

Reply to
Bob Horton
Loading thread data ...

There have been some reports of the Pre-N pc card having reliability issues with some laptops including Dell (specifically the Lattitude D600).

Have you had any issues with the laptop and what model is it?

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

Hi Harvey,

Looking back, I see that I said,it is an Inspiron, but forgot to say that specifically it is an Inspiron 8500. No reliability issues thus far, but it is still a new installation. One thing I did, though, was to disable the mini-pc card that is sort-of built into the machine (FYI, in case you're not familiar, the machine only has one external PC card slot; the other PC card is called a mini-PC card and is accessed through a cover on the bottom of the machine where a small plug in board resides. I've been told that this is becoming a pretty common way of building notebooks recently). The built-in card was 8022.11b. I think disabling it removes a good chance of conflicts and/or hard to diagnose issues.

I'll let everyone know if anything changes.

Reply to
Bob Horton

Disabling the built-in card was the right thing to do - it has been demonstated to cause conflicts. If you haven't already, you should visit the Belkin Forum at the dslreports.com site. There is a lot of first hand info on the Pre-N products, almost all favarable.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

I haven't been on that forum (use their speed tests and utilities, though), as this is my first Belkin system. Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Bob Horton

I set up my Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router yesterday and was surprised at how easy it was to do. And the signal strength is definitely stronger than my old Linksys router.

But that was yesterday. Today my hard wired desktop, (not the wireless laptop), was running painfully s....l....o...w. So I finally broke down and called Belkin. The tech guy was polite and helpful and he had me pull the plug (d'oh!) on the router for a few seconds. That helped a little but then he said this:

"We are coming out real soon with some new firmware that you can upload. Check back in a few days."

So there you have it. My Belkin story.

Reply to
Michael Greenberg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.