PPPoE Linksys WRT54G help needed

Hi, I'm trying to get a Linksys WRT54G wireless router working as a replacement for an old Apple Airport wireless basestation. Everything seems to work fine except for the all important step of the router logging in to my Earthlink account via my SpeedStream 5260 aDSL modem. I'm able to connect (via PPPoE) directly to the internet via the cable modem. I'm able to connect (wirelessly) to the Linksys from my PC (Windows XP). However, try and as I might, I cannot get the Linksys to negotiate with Earthlink via PPPoE. Using the web browser setup tool on the Linksys I select PPPoE, enter my email address " snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com", enter my corresponding password, etc. I've even tried to force the connection to happen using a button on the Linksys web browser. Each time I try I get a failed login message.

It would probably be helpful (at least to me) if I could see a log of PPPoE login session but I cannot seem to find a way to do this with the Linksys (I have enable both login and logout logs but nothing ever shows up in them). Does anyone know how to observe the PPPoE login process that happens between my Linksys WRT54G and my SpeedStream cable modem?

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
jim_luby
Loading thread data ...

Is that normally how you log in to Earthlink? Full email like that? You don't have a separate user id?

Reply to
Warren Oates

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.