linksys range extender WRE54G problems!

I cannot get a linksys range extender WRE54G connected, to see a wireless network,with a linksys WRT54G wireless router v.2.1

I see nothing on support site to auto install it from web?!

on set up wizard, it cannot find the wireless network,but both laptops are connected to the web!!

- I followed directions-to disable WEP

-one of the laptops cannot even connect with it's browser to configure it (192.168.1.240)

-the other laptop can partially but freezes,but still cannot find the right networking

-light on the range extender flashes red, even after re set,turn off 30 secs, etc

I'm stumped! HELP!!

Reply to
du ah
Loading thread data ...

toms networking has a bad review, too bad I didnt read it before I bought it, so did you just buy larger antennas to extend your router range?

Reply to
Joe

Try this guide at Tom's Networking:

formatting link
have one of these units and gave up on it.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

I moved up to a WRT54GX and WPC54GX and my range and throughput went through the roof. I have nearly perfect signal throughout the house and garage now. The "X" series is quite expensive though.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Reply to
McGreen

I just got one of these things, the utility that comes on the CD is a waste of space. Here's how I got it working after an hour of frustration

1) Disable WEP on the router 2) Hit the autoconfigure button for about 10 seconds (you might need to reset to factory defaults if you've been playing around) 3) Go to 192.168.1.240 , the web interface should appear password is admin 4) Upgrade the firmware (I couldn't get the thing working with the box as shipped. I found I had a V1 of the extender and you'll see there are firmware updates on linksys.com 5) with the latest firmware enable WEP on the extender and any other settings you need 6) re-enable WEP on the router.

I've found it now works great.

------------------------------------- du ah wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless - 15211 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
nigel16494

Will it work with WPA?

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.