Please help

I am having a problem with my Laptop's wireless connection. While connected to my wireless network (64bit WEP encrypted network) all web pages hang on any sort of login or search.

This does not happen while connected using regular ethernet connection. I plug in the cable and everthing starts to work perfectly . My other laptop is working just fine on the same wireless network.

I have tried repairing the Wireless network connection using the WindowsXP repair connection tool.

This hanging happens with:

Internet Explorer 6.0.29 Netscape 8 Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3

All work fine with Ethernet connection.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling the wireless device.

Nothing has changed on my wireless router settings since this problem started.

Any ideas/fixes??

Thanks!!

Reply to
medussa67
Loading thread data ...

I forgot to mention. I am running Windows XP service pack 2. Other internet programs like Skype and MSN Messenger work fine while connected to my wireless network.

Thanks,

Diane

Reply to
medussa67

Diane, although this does not reveal the problem itself, you may just want to run System Restore and restore your Windows files and setting back to the day before you had the problem. As you noted it sounds like the problem is centric to the notebook itself, and not the router/AP.

The problem may be related to a security packages (such as Notorn, McAfee) and their combination of firewall rules, etc. I'm thinking that this might also have something to do with the MTU on the PC, or even in the router itself. I know that some pages like Hotmail and MSN have problems if the MTU is set to 1500 (I may be wrong on the actual number). I would think this would actually effect all PCs on the network, but its worth a shot and easy to change.

I would just go ahead and complete a System Restore as this should get you around the problem and up and running now, with little effort.

Good luck!

medussa67 wrote:

Reply to
usenet.lloydgm

Thanks, that is a good idea but for some reason system restore is turned off on this computer. Any other ideas???

Thanks for your reply.

Diane

Reply to
medussa67

Diane, sorry for the delay. If you have any security packages, such as Norton Internet Security or the McAfee equivalent, then disable the firewall, and any other network filters they contain. If you have those products original installaion CDs then uninstall the product and see if that fixes the problem. Either way, you can then reinstall the product with the CD.

Good luck!

medussa67 wrote:

Reply to
usenet.lloydgm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.