orinoco firmware flashing compatibility woes

Greetings:

I have been unable to flash an Agere branded Lucent Orinoco Gold card to firmware versions less than Primary Variant 1, Ver 4.00, Station Variant 1, Ver 8.10; flashers abort with error message:

"your current wireless card is not updateable with this utility"

Labels on the card:

Orinoco wireless networks Classic Gold PC Card T/N 38V05968 P/N 026258/A Encryption 128RC4 Agere Systems PC24E-11-FC/R LT: 14E0210

5V 16bit (S/N and MAC address omitted here)

I am able to flash to Station Ver 6.16 using the 'patched' D-link flasher, however the card no longer receives signals (no visible networks in Win2k, no signals using orinoco_cs drivers (patched and native) in Linux 2.4).

Attempting to flash up to Ver 7.52 for example from Ver 6.16 fails with with above message as does attempts to flash down from Ver 8.10. The card came with Station firmware 9.42 (perhaps volatile using Win2k Miniport driver in Ver 8.10).

I can repeatedly flash up to Ver 8.10 and down to

6.16 (D-link flasher only -- native flasher reports "no wireless card driver found" and I can't find the matching Win2k or Win9x driver anywhere on the 'Net -- in any case that shouldn't matter since the card flashes successfully with the 'patched' flasher)

Attempts to use 'patched' D-link flashers for versions 7.52 and 7.28 fail with error:

"no wireless card driver found"

Changing the Miniport driver to Ver 7.08 and client to Ver 2.18 using the Ver 7.52 package makes no difference with either flasher for the

7.52 firmware ("no wireless card drive found" error for the 'patched' 7.52 flasher, "your current wireless card is not updateable..." error with the native 7.52 flasher).

Was there a hardware change that makes earlier firmwares incompatible? If not, how does one down-flash on this card version?

TIA and regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@waste.org hath wroth:

Yes. The original Wavelan/Orinoco/Lucent/Agere/Avaya/Proxim cards used a Lucent Hermes chipset. Later versions went with Prism 2 chips. Symbol cards also has some chip oddities. Current Proxim versions use Atheros chipsets. There are also variations designed to go into acess points instead of client radios. Totally different cards with different firmware. I'm not sure how to recognize the difference on your Orinoco Classic. This might help.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.