Only person in complex with internet; should I worry about hackers?

I have been setting up my wireless network and making sure the router works and has at least wpa set. I changed my attenae strength to 50% on my router because 2.4ghz linksys usb adapter picks the signal up fine at 50%.

However, I know for a fact that within 500 feet of me there is not one person with internet access. Do I really need to be worried about someone intercepting my wireless traffic? If they are not close enough to get my signal, obviously I can sleep a little better at night, right?

Reply to
Go Tyler
Loading thread data ...

Last year, I found an unauthorized wireless repeater. The business owner assumed that since he was on the 10th floor, and that all his wireless devices were away from the windows, that he was safe from sniffing. However, his own employees wanted to surf the web (for free) from the coffee shop across the road and installed a wireless repeater (range extender). I could see *ALL* his traffic, including the office laptops from 2000 ft away. If I wanted to sniff your traffic, I would probably do something similar.

Use WPA encryption with a sufficiently random key, and you won't have to worry about hackers like me.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If you have WPA with a good key, you do not have to worry about your wireless being compromised.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Reply to
Go Tyler

Well, I just read a report on people who drive around in their cars and look for unsecured wireless networks to use, so I guess I should be concerned.

Reply to
Go Tyler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.