Evaluating wireless Internet

I am interested in going with a local wireless Internet provider, but I heard that they have had problems with their service in the past, during peak times. Also heard they had resolved the issues. I am now on dial-up. My neighbor will let me try his service by tapping into his wireless network for a week or so to make sure I like the quality and speed of the service before committing for a year. My son has a laptop that we were able to pluck the neighbor's signal with at the very edge of my yard. My computer is another 150 feet away from the neighbor, on the extreme other end of my house. House is 70 feet long brick ranch . Two Bradford pear trees in line of sight. I am interested in something like a USB wireless adapter or whatever, that I can use to receive from the neighbor temporarily now, and later use when I get the wireless Internet service, to communicate with a router. The Internet provider provides a device similar to a wall wart that must be plugged in to power, then an ethernet connection will go to one computer, or to a router of my choosing. They will also provide and maintain a whole house wireless network for $10 more a month if I desire to purchase that option. For this evaluation phase, what could I do economically to receive / transmit the neighbor's signal better? Would a wireless USB adapter with an external antenna work OK? I assume I would plug the device into my USB, extend the proper antenna cable to my roof, and mount the appropriate antenna for the job. There is a chimney that can "see" past the trees. But what to use, exactly. I am very mechanically inclined, but not so much in this field of endeavor. I would appreciate constructive input as to a viable option. I was looking at this item from the link below.

formatting link

Thanks, RJ

Reply to
Backlash
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.