office with two WRT54Gs + DHCP

I was at a remote office today, and noticed that they had two Linksys WRT54Gs. but things were a little messy...

They are not being used as routers, merely as wireless access points on the same LAN, with different SSIDs, but only one was acting as a DHCP server for the LAN.

So, I was thinking of moving them (from the wiring closet) to the ends of the office, and enabling DHCP on both - just with different ranges, but same GW and DNS. Any probs with doing that ??

Reply to
P.Schuman
Loading thread data ...

I would not do that simply because if there are wired clients it will mess them up. It's not really a problem IF the wireless AP's have different SSID's however I feel from a managment stand point you would be better off with just one acting as your DHCP server. Do you have any wired clients and or any other DHCP servers on the LAN that are not the WRT's?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

"P.Schuman" hath wroth:

The bigger the mess, the better it works. I never have problems until someone tries to clean things up. It happened yesterday. One of clever customers decided that they didn't like the tangle of wall warts (power supplies) in the power strip. Something like this:

So, they unplugged everything, carefully laced all the cords, and plugged the wall warts back into the DSL modem, wireless router, switch, print server, and ticket printer. My guess the total damage was about $120 plus my exhorbitant labor charges. Amazingly, all the wall warts were labeled to prevent such disasters.

Here's what a properly messy cabling system should look like:

The bigger the mess, the better it works and no sane employee would dare touch that mess.

That's the correct way to setup multiple access points on a network. The two boxes are also probably on different channels.

Fine. Run CAT5e extension cables to the office ends, and plug the AP's back in exactly the way they currently are operating.

Don't do it. You only want *ONE* DHCP server on a network. You might be able to get away with it if each AP dispenses different DHCP IP addresses, but you'll have problems with portable users getting an IP address from one AP, but trying to renew it at the other. That won't work. Leave it alone. It's working.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

this "small" office of about 12 people has RJ45 jacks at all the normal office & desk locations, along with the two WRTs in the back room. It was a sublease... taken over...

They had both Linksys WRT stacked on top of each other, antennas right next to each other, and my fear was that with just one DHCP server, they might unplug that one and be screwed as they use both the RJ and WiFi connections.

I at least moved the WRTs apart, and verified one was on 11 and the other was on 10... I moved to either 1 or 6. Did some Netstumbler... but didn't see any other close units.

wall warts - noticed one WRT had the normal 12v 500ma large black wall wart, but the other had a very very small "switching" device with the same 12v

500ma rating. I usually label each wall wart to go with each specific device, but this confused the issue :)

There were also 3 APC UPS's on the floor - not being used - again, from the total sublease... will investigate the battery situation..

Reply to
P.Schuman

"P.Schuman" hath wroth:

Bad idea. Ewen with widely seperated channels, they're going to interfere with each other. Get them physically seperated and also make sure that the channels are non-overlapping (1, 6, or 11).

Not really. Setup the DHCP lease time for a few days. The desktop will retain the DHCP IP address for several days, giving you enough time to figure out what happened. I don't consider it a real concern.

Good. Much better.

Netstumbler won't show "hidden" networks that don't broadcast their SSID. Use Kismet (Linux) instead. If you don't have Linux box, get a bootable LiveCD which includes Kismet:

Look at the serial number tag on the two WRT54G boxes. There are 8 different hardware versions of WRT54G/GS. The early ones came with inefficient transformer type wall warts. I know v8 comes with a switching power supply.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.