Not too much "N"

I don't see much talk here about the "N" wireless that is supposed to be coming out soon. Any thoughts on whether this is going to be the answer for all of us with a lot of home interference and range problems? I'm asking in regards to the *true* N and not the Pre-N which may or may not even be compatible with N. It sounds good from what I could find on the net. Anybody know anything about it? TIA dotcom

Reply to
DotCom
Loading thread data ...

If you're asking about info on unananouced products, the answer is "I know nothing". If you're asking if TGn Sync, WWiSE (World-Wide Spectrum Efficiency), or MITMOT will be approved by the IEEE, your guess is as good as mine. If you're asking how 802.11n will intergrate with the rest of the 802.11 alphabet soup into sellable products, I don't even want to think of the potential horrors. As for upgraded products to true 802.11n, you have only too look at the promised and history of WPA compatibility for WEP encryption to judge the functionality and time frame of such an adventure.

As for whether genuine 802.11n will solve your "home interference and range problems", I don't have a clue without knowning what your interference and range problems involve. In general, the pre-802.11n products are both faster and more interference resistant than previous incantations largely because they can utilize reflections instead of just tolerate them. This is not exactly true of the beam steering MIMO access points. This manifests itself as an improvement in reliable indoor coverage area. However, I can see no improvement in outdoor (non-reflective) range. It is also currently impossible to attach an external antenna to any of the pre-802.11n access points or clients, making substantial point to point range improvements impossible.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The thing that I'm looking forward to with 11n is the increased bandwidth that would allow for higher quality video to be transmitted to multimedia devices. Of course, the MPAA wouldn't want you transmitting DVD movies to your TV unencrypted. :-O

Reply to
johnny

You might be better off waiting for UWB (Ultra Wide Band) to be pryed out of the hands of the IEEE 802.15.3a committee, which is currently deadlocked on standards selection for a bit less than a year. There is also some comedy involved: |

formatting link
suspect UWB will be standardized immediately after the giant coffee machine ownership is settled. Sigh.

My guess of the week is about 400Mbits/sec at a range of 10 meters maximum. |

formatting link
|
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.