Newbie Question - Linksys WRT54G - Can't connect to Hotmail or AOL Mail

I have a desktop running Windows XP Pro connected by cable to my Linksys WRT54G router.

I have another desktop running Windows 98SE connected wireless via a Linksys WUSB54G adapter.

After many false starts I finally got both to work.

I can connect to almost all web sites that I use but I can't connect to Hotmail, or AOL Mail, or Wikipedia, or Hartford Courant news.

If I bypass the rtouter and connect directly to the DSL modem, I can connect to all of them.

Has anybody ever seen this problem?

I'm running Symantec Internet Security on both desktops. I've turned off the Windows firewall.

I have the linksys firewall enabled.

I'm baffled, which is not new because I was baffled for two days until I got the router and adapter to cooperate.

Shelly

Reply to
shellyw
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, turn that off and see what happens since the machines are behind the router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I've tried turning off Symantec Internet Secuirty. No change. Shelly

Reply to
shellyw

I know I read a post where the router was re-flashed with the current firmware and that corrected a similar problem like you're having. Have you done that?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

No, I haven't. I'm using the original firmware. I'll go to the linksys site and get the latest version.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Shelly

Reply to
shellyw

NO not get the latest version but flash the device by downloading and using the current version of the firmware that's on the device. But if a newer version corrects the problem, then by all means use it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane, Thank you very much. Your suggestion did it. It was a firmware problem I downloaded version 3.01.3 and upgraded to it. Now everything works! After three days of struggle, it's a great feeling to see it all working.

Shelly PS. Another newbie question. I couldn't figure out what version of the firmware I had. How would I do that? Vocabulary question: What does "flash the device" mean? I assumed it meant install the firmware. Is that correct?

Thanks again. I'm delighted.

Reply to
shellyw

Go into the router setup and click on "status". It will give you the firmware version and other info. You are correct on the Flash.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

You are welcome and I see someone else answered your questions.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.