new Linksys card can't talk to Netgear? yeah, right

From Stupidity Central: A new Linksys WPC54GS adapter, HP laptop, fresh

installed Win2k, installed the (still 1.0) driver off the website... settings as dumbed down as possible, i.e. no security, infrastructure, SSID is correct and in correct case, and this card simply will NOT set up a link with the customer's Netgear MR614V2 router which has the current 5.3 firmware from Netgear.

The Netgear router has absolutely no other problems talking to quite a variety of various and sundry adapter cards in other laptops.

As another test, we removed the GS adapter from the laptop and installed another brand new adapter, a Linksys WPC54G, this one without the "GS" speedbooster stuff. Before plugging it in, we removed the GS software, rebooted, installed the G software from the website, then plugged it in, all seeming to go correctly without errors. STILL no connect.

Amazing. We then took the G card and installed it into a completely different (older Dell) laptop at the site, along with the website-version driver, and it failed there as well. This Dell did have a Netgear adapter in it previously which ran just fine... so it would seem that there's some stupid and basic problem between these two items but I've been unable to find any reference to this or any related problem on the net.

The NG router is set for DHCP of course, access control turned off, and is handing out 192.168.0.2 through .20. I did see where someone's Linksys router won't route unless you're handing out .1.100 and up but this doesn't appear to apply here.

What am I missing? Is Linksys junk?

Reply to
eno
Loading thread data ...

Turns out (arrgh) the folks downstairs assumed they had in fact disabled 'access control' on the router but they never clicked 'apply' as far as we know, so that turned out to be the problem all along. Works fine now.

Unbelievable.

Reply to
eno

Ah, we always used to write this up as "Replaced Operator, Problem Cleared." 8*)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Sigh. I was going to post an extremely complex and detailed troubleshooting plan with numerous exotic and obscure possible causes plus solutions. I was also planning on adding my usual personal anecdotes and semi-humorous stories. I thought I had found a suitable problem worthy of my extensive troubleshooting skills. I actually look for such problems to solve. So, you spoil it all by finding and fixing the problem in a simple and efficient manner. I'm crushed.

It's very believable. Weds morning, I get a call from a local professional musician having problems with his audio programs. ITunes wouldn't play, but everything else does. It took me 30 minutes of screwing around to finally notice that the iTunes volume slider was turned down to zero. Forest, trees, Occam's Razor, technobabble, KISS (keep it simple stupid), vacation, grumble...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.