new 2wire SBC install

A friend of mine just got DSL from SBC, and asked me to set it up for her. She received a self-install kit with a 2wire wireless modem 2701HG-B.

I wasn't properly prepared for that ;-( I thought I was going to attach a wireless router that I have left over, and a DLink DWL-122 USB adapter that I had in my pocket, and run through the manual steps to configure the DSL without loading the SBC junk on anyone's PC.

I didn't have the proper manual steps for the 2wire, but I think I do now, from DSLreports faq 13705. I thought I might go ahead and run the "assisted" setup while I was there, since it didn't seem too painful, but I wanted to do it on her computer not mine.

I put the DWL-122 dongle on her computer (far side of the room, of course), and couldn't connect. Couldn't even see the router. My Thinkpad, which seems to have outstanding range on it's built in AR5211 WiFi, showed 15% signal, and I could see the router, 20 feet away.

In fact, I was picking up identical signal strength from a real estate office a block away ;-(

My USB adapter might be toast... too long powered up inside a coffee can. I might have to give up and buy a new one. It has a little dent in the front that I don't remember. It is either melted plastic or an artistic divot that I didn't notice before.

Is the 2701HG-B really a weak performer, or did she get a bum one?

Is the "assisted" setup innocuous? Should I let it configure on my computer, or will I be forever sorry for some background software that it loads?

Reply to
dold
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@43.usenet.us.com hath wroth:

Good router. Should work fine. I've done about 5 of those without much difficulty.

Sigh. AT&T has been been using 2wire for perhaps 5 years. Every 2 years or so, 2wire comes out with a new model, which AT&T delivers. Think of it as a learning experience.

You can do it easily without the SBC junkware. Point your browser at the IP address of the router (probably 192.168.1.254) or the DNS name of

formatting link
and start configuring.

That works. See:

It's quite simple and works every time. The only thing it does wrong is leave the wireless encryption at WEP instead of changing to WPA.

Yech. You should do better than that. Something is wrong. The

2701HG is a 400mw xmitter. However, the internal antennas suck. It seems to work best in the "tower" arrangement. The router is also delivered with the tx output set to about 20milliwatts. Dive into the settings and crank it up.

Ok, the laptop is working. Is there anything in the way, even at

20ft?

Probably dinged it while hammering on the coffee can.

My guess is a mixture of both. The radio is usually fine, the antennas suck, and the default tx power is way too low.

Yes. It just covers the basics. You don't really need it but if you decide to do it manually, go through all the cute graphical menus to make sure you didn't miss any settings. Many settings are in some rather strange places. There's also an item to check for updated firmware. The SBC/AT&T assisted install does this for you, but if you do it manually, you'll need to also check this manually.

Don't install the SBC/AT&T software. The penalty is eternal damnation, Windoze reinstall, or both.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.