Networking information wanted

Is there a web site which has a good tutorial for implementing a wireless network in a public area such as a hospital?

I'd like to get info about how they do the SSIDs, channel assignments and such to create seamless network. I'd also like to see a nice architecture diagram showing various ways the system would be integrated into the external internet world. Routers, gateways and stuff like that.

I'm interested in this stuff and would like to go further into understanding how it all works and fits together.

Thanks!!

Dave

Reply to
dave
Loading thread data ...

The best for you would be to call a local company with experience in this.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

I agree. Hospitals have HIPAA security requirements which greatly restrict what can be done with wireless. I strongly suggest you find someone with a clue on both the technical and legal aspects of wireless. There's more to security than just enabling encryption.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 24 Jan 2007 15:42:34 -0800, "dave" wrote in :

See "hotspot" in the wikis below, which include a link to the Intel deployment guide.

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:14:11 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

True, if the wireless will serve both the hospital and the public, but not if the wireless is a separate service provided just to and for the public.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

I beg to differ. HIPAA wireless security is more than just encryption, authorization, and authentication. It's also about how to prevent laptops from carrying off sensitive patient information. It's about tracking users, logging access, and detecting penetrations. It's about encrypted records, asset tracking, NAC/NAP, certificates, VPN's, and possibly some biometrics. I have to deal with a few such systems and they are nailed down rather tightly, much more than the common corporate WLAN.

The one public access wireless in a hospital that I know about has it's own DSL line and absolutely no physical connection to the hospital network.

A mix of interesting articles and manure on wireless in hospitals:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hospital ? I doubt you will get permission unless it is completely independant of the existing network .

Reply to
atec

John Navas hath wroth:

There's nothing under hotspots. The link is under Performance and Speed:

and is broken. Intel moved the Wireless Hotspot Deployment Guide somewhere (again) and neither Google nor I can find it. So, I posted a copy here:

It's well worth reading and highly recommended (by me). 1.8MBytes.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:41:45 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Would you have been happier if I had written "which also include?" ;)

Intel gave you permission?

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:27:25 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Ahhh ... that's what I said (wrote). ;)

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

No. I don't like to make people hunt for references. I always include the exact URL and reference tag in my replies.

Of course not. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. However, I did email their "site assistance" people with the question, and received absolutely nothing:

That's the Nov 2003 version, still labeled "Intel Confidential" at the bottom of each page. The one I posted is the Sept 2005 version 003 which is, to the best of my limited knowledge, the latest incantation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:04:41 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Me either, which is why I built the custom search capability. That some people can't be bothered to use it is their problem.

I do when I have time and/or it seems to be important, but I personally think it's often sufficient to just point people in the right direction. Part of my reason is that I want to encourage them to browse around in the wikis, instead of just getting a quick answer they don't really understand.

"When someone is hungry, it serves them better to teach them how to grow their own food, rather than just giving them a one-shot handout."

Not necessarily. I sometimes get surprising results when I ask permission, whereas some companies can be real a-h's about copyright.

That could actually cut against you. Regardless, I think you'd have better luck with snail mail, fax (my favorite), or telephone.

The choice is, of course, yours.

Reply to
John Navas

don't like to make people hunt for references. I always

permission.

the Nov 2003 version, still labeled "Intel Confidential" at the

I appreciate the help with this. The information posted has helped alot.

Thanks

dave

Reply to
dave

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.