Challenging Network Upgrade

Our ISP is offering to upgrade us from a T1 to 3Mbps over ethernet for a reasonable price. I built our internal network, so I've got some switch experience, but I'm not use to handling stuff on the edges of the network. The way it was set up by my predecessor is:

******************************************** T1->Cisco2611->Unmanaged switch->3 internal networks with their own firewalls plus one hardware vpn/firewall (single purpose)=>Servers/ Workstations. *********************************************

I'd love to tighten up security and configure it correctly as long as we're messing with stuff. I don't even know where to start. If somebody could help me reproduce the diagram between the **** above starting with the 3Mbps circuit, I'll be eternally grateful.

******************************************** 3Mbps Circuit->??????????????????????????=>Server/Workstations

Here is a little more detail on the network: We're only providing internet access and the one VPN. We have approximately 200 workstations. The three networks are our main lan (private) plus two small public access networks behind smoothwall firewalls. I can't get anybody interested in VPN (other than the one that is in use), so we have no requirements there. In fact, we can continue using the existing device if necessary.

We host nothing internally (for public consumption), but might want to some day. I'd eventually like to do some QOS stuff I'd love to get to a single central firewall We have a limited budget But we like the idea of using Cisco equipment

Let me know if any of this isn't clear. I truly appreciate any insight that anybody has to offer, and I'm sorry if my ignorance is a problem. I know that a key component is going to be training, and I'm not afraid to get it. At this point, I'm just trying to get a feel for the devices/services I am going to need.

Thanks!

Reply to
sameat
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.