Netgear wireless router goes offline when...

I have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router with 3 computers all using wireless. I have had it for 3 years and in that time, I have had DSL and now cable as my internet type.

The problem I am having is that when I access some web pages that are busy with gif's or jpg's, my router suddenly stops responding. I cannot log into the router from a wireless computer and although my computers (2 PC's and 1 Mac) say that they are connected, no traffic seems to be getting out to the internet or coming in. I then have to reset the router (never the modem) and it works.

When I say that I access pages that are "busy" I am talking about a page that has a bunch of JPG's on it or even a bunch of animated gif's. I haven't ever had this problem with pages with just text or even pages that have some pictures (versus a bunch).

I have looked for updates to the firmware, and none are available. Anyone have any possible suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Thanks, Javier

Reply to
javier.ornelas
Loading thread data ...

Javier,

I have the same router with a different configuration (2 PCs wired), 2 Macs (wireless), wireless game (PS2) adapter, and pocket pc w/ wifi.

I think the problem we have isn't necessarily related to what is hooked up how, but just an issue with the traffic in the router itself.

My problem is with P2P (specifically Flashget accessing online torrents). After the router chews on them a while it just stops all/ most internet traffic from entering/leaving. I can still get Email access and IRC. My clock sync protram and vista sidebar widgets still work. IE, Firefox, and Flashget stop working, though (actually Flashget grinds to a near-halt but still manages to trickle a little through. I can power down/up the router and then all works fine (don't have to reboot my modem either...) for a period of time - but then I lose it again.

I've looked at a lot of posts trying to figure out if this router is just doomed or what? I read about the problems Netgear had w/ reflashing the firmware (my update never worked in my router anyway, so that isn't my problem - and now I'm afraid to flash it w/ all the problems others had bricking their modem w/ the flash prog).

I hope somebody can meaningfully comment (w/o just telling me how much Flashget sucks or that I should through away my PCs because they suck so bad compared to Macs).

Bill

Reply to
bill.lohman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.