Netgear USB (WG111v2) -- WEP key registry value

I'm doing something a bit out of the ordinary -- programmatically setting up wireless adapters on Win98 machines. The technique works fine for Belkins, but Netgear has a dramatically more complex registry environment for their adapter.

It looks as if my principal problem is that the key is not stored in plaintext. Normally that's a plus, obviously. Not in this case. I have no idea how to store a value that will make the adapter work.

I've regmoned the heck out of this thing while making he changes using the systray widget. I've compared before/after exports. And still, no settings I make to the registry -- no matter how much they appear to mimic what the widget does -- enable device operation.

I believe if I could generate the string that's stored here:

HKLM\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Class\\Net\\0002\\DefaultKey0

. . . i'd be a happy camper.

Has anyone else done the kind of bit-level tinkering I'm trying to do, here, and met with success? This really kind of sucks. The presumption by manufacturers that everyone on the planet will want to click on a systray widget to configure their devices, is a frustrating thing for a sysadmin to observe on the part of OEMs.

Reply to
Scott Marquardt
Loading thread data ...

David Taylor opined thusly on Aug 11:

We're using that for our domain machines, and it's darned nice (pushing out certs with policy). The legacy usage is for homebrewed winterms using a custom shell atop Win98SE. I'd welcome tips for implementing Radius on Win98 where we don't want to authenticate users. :-/

Reply to
Scott Marquardt

David Taylor opined thusly on Aug 11:

Understood. Again, if I can code for that without a lot of pain for an alternative shell running on Win98, with drivers for an adapter that's cheap, I'd be happy. Programmatic config of the machine has to be pushed.

Reply to
Scott Marquardt

Sorry but no. If you're a sysadmin you should stop using a protocol that was broken ages ago and move to something that doesn't require deploying a symmetric key!

Take a look at any RADIUS based solution using dynamic keying, it's not new stuff.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

How much money have you got cos I can give you AES256, FIPS140-2 certified (end to end), non spoofable device authentication with no user auth from anything from DOS all the way up. :)

If you don't want to do RADIUS then why not just go for WPA? WEP is long dead for the purposes of encryption.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.