WPA/WEP random key generator

I'm sure this is a wonderful program, but you really shouldn't trust anyone else to make up your 'random' numbers for you. I've got a pair of hex dice I use, but you could flip coins just as easily.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

16 sided dice:
formatting link
6 sides in binary:
formatting link
for indecisive programmers.

Others:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

For my own purposes I have written a program that generates random keys for use in either WEP or WPA enabled routers. It can be used to secure networks that rely on a pre-shared key.

A random key should defeat any form of dictionary attack.

The program is free and can be found at

formatting link
It is offered as a service by Soroban Systems Ltd. to all wireless network users, including home and commercial.

I have only been able to test the program in a very limited number of cases so feed back would be welcome. It should run under any variant of Windows but it does require the .NET framework to be installed. I have only tested it however with Windows XP Pro..

The program does not need installation and makes no changes to your system. The random key is copied to the Windows clipboard so that it can be pasted into a text document for transporting to other computers. The key generated can NOT be repeated by re-running the program.

John Steele

Reply to
John Steele

The program is meant to make it easy to create a secure WPA (or WEP) key and automatically copy it to the clipboard. If you use a manual method then you have to type in all the values. You may also have to eliminate any values that are not in the acceptable range (my program eliminates the non printing characters for the WPA passphrase) and then convert them from hex to the character value. The router I tested it with did not accept ASCII characters and needed a passphrase. It is your choice of course.

Security is controlled paranoia. There is always a cost whether this is financial or time. If your fear is that there are "back door" keys generated by my program then this is not the case. I am quite prepared to release the Visual Basic .NET source code if that will reassure you. You can easily verify that it generates a different value every time it is run. How many backdoor keys could I have included? How much patience do you have to test it?

The program uses Microsoft Cryptographic services to generate an array of random numbers which are used to derive the displayed key values.

John Steele Soroban Systems Ltd

formatting link

Reply to
John Steele

Could you elaborate on those hex dice? How labeled? Where you got them?

Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Yeah, those are the ones I use, with a little cheat sheet for decimal to hex conversion. I've written the vendor about the need for real hex, and they are considering it...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, Jeff. Wish they had those for sale!

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Ed wrote in news:Xns961F9B86A9D46spectrumhogstarbandn@207.106.93.175:

You could try here:

although strictly they're decimal rather than hex...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

You could try here:

Yes, that is good. Thanks, again.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Dreidls for geeks?

Reply to
Neill Massello

ya yaa, its good conception! :)

Reply to
RaDeQ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.