Netgear MA401 & Windows XP (sp2) issues (hotfix Q815485)

Hi,

I am new to this NG, so apologies if this post is misplaced ...etc.

Yesterday I upgraded my laptop from W2K to XP (sp2). I now have the problem that my WLAN is broken. I have a Netgear MA401 NIC, and a Netgear ME102 WAP that worked fine for three and half years under W2K.

Doing a search on this NG amongst others it appears that the problem relates to a MS quickfix Q815485 that is part of the sp2 release, and relates to WPA encryption.

I have read one thread that allude to the MA401 working with XP sp2, however no details were provided.

For the record here are the version numbers that I'm running;

ME102: Firmware: 1.4h.3 USB Config app: 1.7.6.16

MA401: Network Driver: 2.01.01 Config Utility: 1.07.37 NIC Firmware: 1.03.04.00

Having rung Netgear tech support they suggest using the builtin XP wireless connectivity stuff, however neither the WAP nor NIC appear to have support for WPA, and the OS does not appear to be able to recognise the WAP as an available network.

Hoping that someone out there has had some success with this. I would appreciate it greatly if you could contact me at; atyson_AT_optus_DOT_net ( where '_AT_' = '@' and '_DOT_' = '.' )

Thanks and regards, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tyson
Loading thread data ...

I appear to have got it working (finally) !! For the benefit of those who may still have problems here is the configuration that appears to work;

Start->Control Panel->Network Connections

On the 'Wireless Networks' tab *uncheck* 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network connections'.

I have enabled 128 bit WEP encrytion, and ensured that a consistent key is configured for use between the WAP and the NIC (although 64 bit WEP also works). On the ME102 USB configuration 'Operational Settings' I set the 'Preamble Type' to 'Short preamble' (all other settings are default).

In order to get the NIC working I right clicked on the WLAN connection under

Start->Control Panel->Network Connections

and clicked 'Repair' which appeared to get the connection up and running. Indeed every time that there is a reconfiguration of the WAP or NIC this appears the best way to get things up and running again.

HTH, AT

Reply to
Andrew Tyson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.